Dr Gareth Davies
Research Impact Evidence Manager
Evaluation and researcher in the Institute of Educational Technology (Learning and Technology Innovation) and the Knowledge Media Institute, sharing my time between two interdisciplinary research projects and co-supervising an EdD research student with Prof. Allison Littlejohn. I'm interested in informal and self-directed learning, technology enhanced and community based learning and impact-evaluation.
As an evaluation researcher Gareth is currently responsible for supporting the following cross-institutional and interdisciplinary research projects:
Exploring community developed ("DIY") computer networks to support citizen engagement and collective awareness ( http://www.mazizone.eu ). In this project we are investigating how community owned and developed computer networks might solve local social issues and sustainable living. This project is funded by the EU's Horizon 2020 CAPS framework (Jan 2016 - Dec 2018). Mark is working with Dr. Gareth Davies and we're working closely with community technologists SPC, led by James Stevens, on a pilot study in Deptford, London, 'Creeknet'. The Open University is responsible for meta-evaluation of the four project pilot studies (Deptford, Zurich, Berlin, Kokkinopilos).
Embedding and sustaining inclusive STEM practices
Led by the Open University, this project will evaluate module design and delivery in STEM to embed values and practices of inclusive learning, most notably for disabled students (http://www.hefce.ac.uk/sas/barriers/projects/ou-leeds-plymouth/).
The following projects have been recently completed, but we are still writing up the findings and interested to find ways to continue the work - get in touch!
Schools University Partnership Initiative (SUPI)
TheRCUK-funded SUPI, ‘Engaging opportunities: connecting young people with contemporary research and researchers’ project. This involved thinking creatively about existing opportunities to engage with schools, evaluating impact and determining the scope for developing new initiatives. To find out more about this project and what we are achieving, please watch the following video.
Energy Strategies Under Uncertainty - Identifying techniques for managing uncertainty in the energy sector
Research fellow working on the UKERC-funded research contract with Cranfield University that focused on developing a conceptual model to help practitioners in the energy system know what techniques they should consider using to assess uncertainty characterizing their decisions.
International Service Learning Programmes: The development assignment of the 21st century
Consultancy contract with Emerging World, investigating the perceived value ‘international service learning’ has for developing cross-cultural global leadership competencies.
An EU FP7 project improving financial decision making in three different fields of practice: professional trading, private investment, and personal finance. The project used and evaluated the potential of games, game technologies, and sensors as components in learning support environments, and as tools to conduct experimental and field research. As research associate I liaised between technical developers, games designers, and psychologists to enable the running of field trials with financial traders.
Gareth is currently supervising Sarah Bridgman, EdD student, whose work is exploring the use of agile methodologies for HEI course production. Expected completion October 2019.
Gareth has previously supervised numerous MSc students at Coventry University.
A broad background in environmental science and in-depth knowledge of designing and developing decision-support tools to account for human bias. Complete an EPSRC-funded PhD that focused on pulling together insights from psychology, sociology and computer science to create an agent-based model. The purpose was to capture the impact personality and power dynamics have on the measure of trust, receptivity and thereby confidence government place in lines of evidence.
Completed a Defra-funded MSc by Research in the School of Applied Science at Cranfield University, where I developed a decision-support tool for regulators wanting to compare multiple disparate risks.
Completed a Masters of Research (Mres, Merit) in Marine Science Technology at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. This specialized in eco-toxicology involving a laboratory study for investigating the potential effects Nonlyphenol has on the asymmetric development of harpacticoid nauplii.
Completed a BSc (Hons) at Bournemouth University in Environmental Protection. The focus of the dissertation was carried out at the UK research center for aquaculture (ResaerchFish) on the West Coast of Scotland in Ardtoe. This resulted in the development of a re-circulation unit for the culture of harpacticoid copepods as a viable live food for cod larvae.
- Gaved, Mark; Stevens, James; Davies, Gareth and Clayton, Paul (). MAZI Deliverable Report D2.5: – Design, progress and evaluation of the Deptford CreekNet pilot (version 2). The MAZI Consortium.
- Davies, Gareth; Gaved, Mark; McAndrew, Patrick; Jones, Ann; Scanlon, Eileen; Hausel, Katalin and Apostol, Ileana (). D3.9 Comparative evaluation of the MAZI pilots (version 2). European Commission.
- Gaved, Mark; Stevens, James and Davies, Gareth (). MAZI deliverable report D2.6 Design, progress and evaluation of the Deptford Creeknet pilot (version 3). The MAZI Consortium.
- Davies, Gareth; Hausel, Katalin and Stevens, James. (). Community partners acting as insider researchers to facilitate a Do-It-Yourself networking. In: British Autoethnography Association Conference 2018, 23 & 24 Jul 2018, Bristol, UK.
- Holliman, Richard; Davies, Gareth; Ford, Diane; Russell, Mark; Steed, Anthony; Brown, Helen; Pearson, Victoria; Collins, Trevor; Stutchbury, Kris; Squires, Andrew; Scanlon, Eileen; Whitelegg, Liz; Ansine, Janice; Braithwaite, N St.J; Swithenby, Stephen; Dommett, Ellie; Sumner, Janet; Lee, Clare; Kendall, Joe; Green, Penny; Sharp, Damien; Bullivant, Mike; Devine, Peter and Hawthorne, Val (). Engaging Opportunities: Connecting young people with contemporary research and researchers. The Open University and the Denbigh Teaching School Alliance, Milton Keynes.
- Holliman, Richard; Davies, Gareth; Pearson, Victoria; Collins, Trevor; Sheridan, Simon; Brown, Helen; Hallam, Jenny and Russell, Mark (). Planning for engaged research: a collaborative ‘Labcast’. In: Kucirkova, Natalia and Quinlan, Oliver eds. The Digitally Agile Researcher London: Open University Press, pp. 88-106.
- Davies, G. and Gaved, M.. (). Seeking togetherness: moving toward a comparative evaluation framework in an interdisciplinary DIY networking project. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Communities and Technologies (C&T '17), Association for Computing Machinery, 96-99.
- Davies, Gareth; Gaved, Mark; Adams, Anne; Antoniadis, Panayotis; Apostol, Ileana; Lüning, Elizabeth Calderon; Hausel, Katalin; Helgason, Ingi; Klaus, Philipp; Smyth, Michael; Stevens, James and Unteidig, Andreas (). D3.8 Comparative evaluation of the MAZI pilots (version 1). The MAZI consortium.
- Unteidig, Andreas; Dominguez-Cobreros, Blanca; Calderon-Lünig, Elizabeth; Heilgemeir, Anna; Clausen, Marco and Davies, Gareth (). D2.1 Design, progress and evaluation of the Prinzessinnengarten pilot (version 1). The MAZI Consortium.
- Davies, Gareth; Stevens, James; Gaved, Mark; Clayton, Paul and Adams, Anne (). MAZI Deliverable Report D2.4: Design, progress and evaluation of the Deptford CreekNet pilot (version 1). MAZI Consortium, Volos, Greece.
- Holliman, Richard; Adams, Anne; Blackman, Tim; Collins, Trevor; Davies, Gareth; Dibb, Sally; Grand, Ann; Holti, Richard; McKerlie, Fiona; Mahony, Nick and Wissenburg, Astrid (). An Open Research University. Milton Keynes: The Open University.
- Holliman, Richard and Davies, Gareth. (). Moving beyond the seductive siren of reach: planning for the social and economic impacts emerging from school-university engagement with research. Journal of Science Communication.
- Grand, Ann; Davies, Gareth; Holliman, Richard and Adams, Anne. (). Mapping Public Engagement with Research in a UK University. PLoS ONE, 10 (4) pp. 1-19.
- Davies, G. J.; Kendall, G.; Soane, E.; Li, J.; Rocks, S. A.; Jude, S. R. and Pollard, S. J. T.. (). Regulators as agents: modelling personality and power as evidence is brokered to support decisions on environmental risk. Science of the Total Environment, 466-67 pp. 74-83.
- Fenton-O'Creevy, Mark; Furnham, Adrian; Dibb, Sally and Davies, Gareth. (). Antecedents and consequences of impulsive buying: can impulsive buying be understood as dysfunctional emotion regulation?. In: Eighth International Conference on Emotions and Worklife: Emonet VIII, 02-03 Jul 2012, Helsinki.
- Fenton-O'Creevy, Mark; Gaved, Mark; Astor, Philipp; Cederholm, Henrik; Davies, Gareth; Eriksson, Jeanette; Jerčić, Petar; Lins, Jeffrey Todd; van Overveld, Marc; Schaaff, Kristina and Smidts, Ale (). xDelia: D18-2.4.2 Learning Intervention Package - Development and Evaluation (Year 3). xDelia Consortium, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Fenton-O'Creevy, Mark; Lins, Jeffrey; Vohra, Shalini; Richards, Daniel; Davies, Gareth and Schaaff, Kristina. (). Emotion regulation and trader expertise: heart rate variability on the trading floor. Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology and Economics, 5 (4) pp. 227-237.
- Li, J.; Davies, G. J.; Kendall, G.; Soane, E.; Bai, R.; Rocks, S. A. and Pollard, S. J. T.. (). Evidence and belief in regulatory decisions – incorporating expected utility into decision modelling. Expert Systems with Applications, 39 (10) pp. 8604-8610.
- Peffer, Gilbert; Fenton-O'Creevy, Mark; Adam, Marc; Astor, Philip; Cederholm, Henrik; Clough, Gill; Conole, Grainne; Davies, Gareth; Eriksson, Jeanette; Gaved, Mark; Heuer, Stephan; Jercic, Petar; Lindley, Craig; Lins, Jeffrey Todd; van Overveld, Marc; Scanlon, Eileen; Schaaff, Kristina and Smidts, Ale (). xDelia: emotion-centred financial decision making and learning (final report). xDelia Consortium, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Peffer, Gilbert; Fenton-O'Creevy, Mark; Adam, Marc; Astor, Philipp; Cederholm, Henrik; Clough, Gill; Conole, Gráinne; Davies, Gareth; Eriksson, Jeanette; Gaved, Mark; Heuer, Stephan; Jerčić, Petar; Lindley, Craig; Todd Lins, Jeffrey; van Overveld, Mark; Scanlon, Eileen; Schaaff, Kristina and Smidts, Ale (). xDelia final report: emotion-centred financial decision making and learning. Open University, CIMNE, Milton Keynes UK.
- Davies, Gareth; Kendall, G.; Soane, E.; Li, J.; Charnley, F. and Pollard, S. J. T.. (). Regulators as 'agents': power and personality in risk regulation and a role for agent-based simulation. Journal of Risk Research, 13 (8) pp. 961-982.
- Li, Jiawei; Pollard, Simon; Kendall, Graham; Soane, Emma and Davies, Gareth. (). Optimising risk reduction: an expected utility approach for marginal risk reduction during regulatory decision making. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 94 (11) pp. 1729-1734.
- Pollard, S. J. T.; Davies, G. J.; Coley, F. and Lemon, M.. (). Better environmental decision making — recent progress and future trends. Science of the Total Environment, 400 (1-3) pp. 20-31.
|MAZI (MAZI:Developing a DIY networking toolkit for location-based collective awareness )||2016 - 2018|