His background started with working in a variety of technology startup companies in the United States in Seattle, WA. While working for startups in e-commerce, the music industry, and the legal industry he completed a degree in Mathematics with the philosophy option at the University of Washington. With a rich analytic skillset he decided to seek to contribute to society.
He started to transform his skills toward the service of education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education through a Masters in Technology Innovation and Education. Upon graduation he joined the nonprofit CAST to participate in research on Universal Design for Learning. During his time at CAST he developed an interest in Learning Analytics and helped to organize events in the Boston area on the topic.
With experience in working on large scale research projects, a technology background, and an interest in Learning Analytics he joined the Open World Learning research project as a PhD student through the Leverhulme Fellowship.
- Ferguson, Rebecca; Coughlan, Tim; Egelandsdal, Kjetil; Gaved, Mark; Herodotou, Christothea; Hillaire, Garron; Jones, Derek; Jowers, Iestyn; Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes; McAndrew, Patrick; Misiejuk, Kamila; Ness, Ingun Johanna; Rienties, Bart; Scanlon, Eileen; Sharples, Mike; Wasson, Barbara; Weller, Martin and Whitelock, Denise (). Innovating Pedagogy 2019: Open University Innovation Report 7. The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Rienties, Bart; Tempelaar, Dirk; Hillaire, Garron and Whitelock, Denise. (). The influence of internationalised versus local content on online intercultural collaboration in groups: A randomised control trial study in a statistics course. Computers & Education, 118 pp. 82-95.
- Hillaire, Garron; Iniesto, Francisco and Rienties, Bart. (). Toward Emotionally Accessible Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs). In: 14th AAATE Congress 2017, 13-14 Sep 2017, Sheffield.
- FitzGerald, Elizabeth; Kucirkova, Natalia; Jones, Ann; Cross, Simon; Ferguson, Rebecca; Herodotou, Christothea; Hillaire, Garron and Scanlon, Eileen. (). Dimensions of personalisation in technology-enhanced learning: a framework and implications for design. British Journal of Educational Technology, 49 (1) pp. 165-181.
- Hillaire, Garron; Rappolt-Schlichtmann, Gabrielle and Ducharme, Kim. (). Prototyping Visual Learning Analytics Guided by an Educational Theory Informed Goal. Journal of Learning Analytics, 3 (3) pp. 115-142.
|OWL (Open World Learning)||2015 - 2020|