Dr Gill Clough
My main research interests include knowledge exchange, knowledge transfer, informal learning and learning through mobile technology, with a focus on the use of GPS supported location awareness . I've worked on a range of fascinating research projects at the OU, including two 3-year EU funded projects; xDelia (a games-based approach to enhancing emotion-regulation during financial decision-making) and JuxtaLearn (using video-creation activities to help school-children overcome the barriers to understanding Tricky Topics).
My current research focuses on knowledge exchange through Evidence Cafes. Evidence cafes bridge the gap between research and practice, enabling practitioners to explore how research might inform their practice, and giving academics access to practice-based insights on the research from frontline practitioners. Initially developed in collaboration with Police Forces across the UK and Nations, connecting up police evidence-based practice with academic research in relevant topics, Evidence Cafes have developed as a form of knowledge exchange that has application beyond public services. We have run Evidence Cafes within the OU to explore issues around Digital Scholarship, and we have also run Evidence Cafes in Africa on the subject of migration to connect up knowledge around investment, skills, entrepreneurship, returnees and integration.
Alongside this work, I am involved in further refining the Tricky Topic process developed out of the JuxtaLearn project for use in helping teachers identify and unpick Tricky Topics faced by their students, extending this beyond schools feeding into OU courses.
I am particularly interested in engaged research and in ensuring that our research and research findings are connected with and relevant to practice, producing measurable impact.
Dr Gill Clough is a Research Fellow with the Open University’s Institute of Educational Technology. She has worked for the Open University since 2008 on a range on mobile and educational technology projects. Most recently, these have included two large three-year EU funded projects. The first, xDelia, used heart-rate variablility to measure the impact of poor emotional regulation on financial decision making in traders and investors, developing effective game-based strategies to train people to better manage their emotional reactions. The second, JuxtaLearn, looked at using video-creation to help students overcome the barriers presented by critically difficult-to learn subjects. This project has led to follow-on projects that focus in on the Tricky Topic process whereby teachers and trainers can identify and address student barriers to learning.
Gill's current research focuses on knowledge exchange, developing methods of equitable knowledge exchange through Evidence Cafés. Evidence Cafés connect academic research with practice by bringing academics and practitioners together to take part in two-way knowledge exchange. These were developed in the first instance with police forces across the UK, through the Centre for Policing Research and Learning and have lead to follow-on activities such as practitioner cafes, think tanks, culture cafes, organised by practitioners.These follow-on events integrate and adapt Evidence Café methods to suit, promoting organisational learning, evidence-based practice and acting as drivers for organisational change.
More recently, Evidence Cafes have been extended beyond the UK public sector, identifying and exploring understanding of Digital Scholarship within the Open University, looking into issues surrounding the preservation of flood plain meadows in wildlife trusts. We have also run Evidence Cafes in Nairobi to unravel the complex issues around migration within Africa, connecting up experts with knowledge in investment, skills, entrepreneurship, returnees and integration.
- FitzGerald, Elizabeth; Adams, Anne; Bektik, Duygu; Bossu, Carina; Clough, Gill; Ismail, Nashwa and Sargent, Julia. (). Tools and Technologies for Advancing Professional Development. In: CALRG Annual Conference 2019, 17-18 Jun 2019, The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Clough, Gill (). Geocaching: Inquiry Learning with a Sense of Adventure. In: Herodotou, Christothea; Sharples, Mike and Scanlon, Eileen eds. Citizen Inquiry: Synthesising Science and Inquiry Learning Routledge.
- Adams, Anne; Clough, Gill and FitzGerald, Elizabeth (). Police Knowledge Exchange: Full Report 2018. The Open University, UK.
- Adams, Anne; Clough, Gill and FitzGerald, Elizabeth (). Police Knowledge Exchange: Summary Report. The Open University, UK.
- Clough, Gill; Adams, Anne and Halford, Eric. (). Evidence Cafés and Practitioner Cafés supported by online resources: A route to innovative training in practice based approaches. European Police Science and Research Bulletin: Special Conference Edition No. 3 pp. 115-122.
- Clough, Gill and Halford, Eric. (). Evidence Cafes and Practitioner Cafes: Translating research into Police Practice. In: CEPOL 2016, 5-7 Oct 2016, Budapest, Hungary.
- Cruz, Sara; Lencastre, José Alberto; Coutinho, Clara; Clough, Gill and Adams, Anne. (). Threshold Concepts Vs. Tricky Topics - Exploring the Causes of Student's Misunderstandings with the Problem Distiller Tool. In: 8th International Conference on Computer Supported Education, 21-23 Apr 2016, Rome, Italy.
- Fenton-O'Creevy, Mark; Adam, Marc; Clough, Gill; Conole, Grainne; Gaved, Mark; Lins, Jeffrey Todd; Lindley, Craig; Peffer, Gilbert; Scanlon, Eileen and Smidts, Ale. (). A game based approach to improve traders' decision-making. In: The International Gamification for Business Conference 2015: Strategic Industrial Applications of Games and Gamification, 21-22 Sep 2015, Innovation Birmingham, Faraday Wharf, Innovation Birmingham Campus, Holt Street, Birmingham Science Park Aston, Birmingham, B7 4BB.
- Adams, Anne and Clough, Gill. (). The e-assessment burger: supporting the before and after in e-assessment systems. Interaction Design and Architecture(s), 25 pp. 39-57.
- Adams, Anne; Hartnett, Elizabeth and Clough, Gill. (). Turn it on its head! Juxtaposed Learning. Creative Education (In Press).
- Sheehy, Kieron; Ferguson, Rebecca and Clough, Gill (). Augmented education: bringing real and virtual learning together. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Adams, Anne; Hartnett, Elizabeth; Clough, Gill; Grand, Ann and Goldsmith, Rick. (). Artistic participatory video-making for science engagement. In: CHI 2014 annual ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Science, 26 Apr - 1 May 2014, Toronto, Canada.
- Jones, Ann; Scanlon, Eileen and Clough, Gill. (). Mobile learning: two case studies of supporting inquiry learning in informal and semiformal settings. Computers & Education, 61 pp. 21-32.
- Jones, Ann; Scanlon, Eileen; Gaved, Mark; Blake, Canan; Collins, Trevor; Clough, Gill; Kerawalla, Lucinda; Littleton, Karen; Mulholland, Paul; Petrou, Marilena and Twiner, Alison. (). Challenges in personalisation: supporting mobile science inquiry learning across contexts. Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning, 8 (1) pp. 21-42.
- Fenton-O'Creevy, Mark; Conole, Grainne; Lins, Jeffrey; Peffer, Gilbert; Adam, Marc; Lindley, Craig; Smidt, Ale; Clough, Gill and Scanlon, Eileen. (). A learning design to support the emotion regulation of investors. In: OECD-SEBI International Conference on Investor Education, 3-4 Feb 2012, Goa, India.
- Gillen, Julia; Ferguson, Rebecca; Clough, Gill; Peachey, Anna and Twining, Peter (). Seeking planning permission to build a Gothic cathedral in a virtual world: exploring the schommunity. In: Merchant, Guy; Gillen, Julia; Marsh, Jackie and Davies, Julia eds. Virtual Literacies: Interactive Spaces for Children and Young People Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 190-207.
- Kerawalla, Lucinda; Littleton, Karen; Scanlon, Eileen; Collins, Trevor; Gaved, Mark; Mulholland, Paul; Jones, Ann; Clough, Gill and Blake, Canan. (). Doing geography: a multimodal analysis of students' situated improvisational interpretation during fieldtrips. Learning, Culture and Social Interaction, 1 (2) pp. 78-89.
- Peffer, Gilbert; Fenton-O'Creevy, Mark; Adam, Marc; Astor, Philip; Cederholm, Henrik; Clough, Gill; Conole, Grainne; Davies, Gareth; Eriksson, Jeanette; Gaved, Mark; Heuer, Stephan; Jercic, Petar; Lindley, Craig; Lins, Jeffrey Todd; van Overveld, Marc; Scanlon, Eileen; Schaaff, Kristina and Smidts, Ale (). xDelia: emotion-centred financial decision making and learning (final report). xDelia Consortium, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Peffer, Gilbert; Fenton-O'Creevy, Mark; Adam, Marc; Astor, Philipp; Cederholm, Henrik; Clough, Gill; Conole, Gráinne; Davies, Gareth; Eriksson, Jeanette; Gaved, Mark; Heuer, Stephan; Jerčić, Petar; Lindley, Craig; Todd Lins, Jeffrey; van Overveld, Mark; Scanlon, Eileen; Schaaff, Kristina and Smidts, Ale (). xDelia final report: emotion-centred financial decision making and learning. Open University, CIMNE, Milton Keynes UK.
- Mwanza-Simwami, Daisy; Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes; Clough, Gill; Whitelock, Denise; Ferguson, Rebecca and Sharples, Mike. (). Methods and models of next generation technology enhanced learning - White Paper. In: Alpine Rendezvous 2011, 28-29 Mar 2011, La Clusaz, France.
- Kerawalla, Lucinda; Littleton, Karen; Scanlon, Eileen; Jones, Ann; Gaved, Mark; Collins, Trevor; Mulholland, Paul; Blake, Canan; Clough, Gill; Conole, Grainne and Petrou, Marilena. (). Personal inquiry learning trajectories in geography: technological support across contexts. Interactive Learning Environments, 21 (6) pp. 497-515.
- Clough, G.. (). Geolearners: Location-based informal learning with mobile and social technologies. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, 3 (1) pp. 33-44.
- Clough, Gill; Conole, Gráinne and Scanlon, Eileen. (). Using participatory evaluation to support collaboration in an interdisciplinary context. In: Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Networked Learning 2010, 3-4 May 2010, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Clough, Gill and Ferguson, Rebecca (). Virtual worlds are authentic sites for learning. In: Sheehy, Kieron; Ferguson, Rebecca and Clough, Gill eds. Virtual Worlds: Controversies at the Frontier of Education. Education in a Competitive and Globalizing World Hauppauge, N.Y.: Nova Science Publishers.
- Sheehy, Kieron; Ferguson, Rebecca and Clough, Gill (). Virtual Worlds: Controversies at the Frontier of Education. Hauppauge, N.Y.: Nova Science Publishers.
- Ferguson, Rebecca; Clough, Gill and Hosein, Anesa. (). Shifting themes, shifting roles: the development of research blogs. In: 'Into Something Rich and Strange' - Making Sense of the Sea-Change. The 17th Association for Learning Technology Conference (ALT-C 2010), 7-9 Sep 2010, Nottingham, UK.
- Ferguson, Rebecca; Sheehy, Kieron and Clough, Gill (). Introduction: challenging education in virtual worlds. In: Sheehy, Kieron; Ferguson, Rebecca and Clough, Gill eds. Virtual Worlds: Controversies at the Frontier of Education Hauppauge, N.Y: Nova Science Publishers.
- Gaved, Mark; Collins, Trevor; Mulholland, Paul; Kerawalla, Lucinda; Jones, Ann; Scanlon, Eileen; Littleton, Karen; Blake, Canan; Petrou, Marilena; Clough, Gill and Twiner, Alison. (). Using netbooks to support mobile learners' investigations across activities and places. Open Learning: The Journal of Open and Distance Learning, 25 (3) pp. 187-200.
- Brown, Elizabeth; Sharples, Mike; Wishart, Jocelyn; Tangney, Brendan; Taylor, Jacqui; Beddall-Hill, Nicola L.; Glahn, Christian; Börner, Dirk; Clough, Gill; Wijers, Monica; Jonker, Vincent; Cook, John and Lyons, Leilah (). Reflecting back, looking forward: the challenges for location-based learning. In: Brown, Elizabeth eds. Education in the Wild: Contextual and Location-Based Mobile Learning in Action. A Report from the STELLAR Alpine Rendez-Vous Workshop Series Nottingham, UK: Learning Sciences Research Institute, University of Nottingham, pp. 52-53.
- Kerawalla, Lucinda; Scanlon, Eileen; Jones, Ann; Littleton, Karen; Mulholland, Paul; Collins, Trevor; Twiner, Alison; Clough, Gill; Blake, Canan; Petrou, Marilena; Conole, Grainne and Gaved, Mark. (). Being a Geographer: the role of mobile, scripted inquiry in mediating embodied meaning-making during Geography fieldtrips. In: 9th World Conference on Mobile and Contextual Learning (mlearn 2010), 19-22 Oct 2010, Valletta, Malta.
- Clough, Gill (). Geolearners: Informal Learning with Mobile and Social Technologies. PhD thesis The Open University.
- Clough, Gill; Conole, Gráinne and Scanlon, Eileen. (). Behavioural finance and immersive games: a pan-European framework for design and evaluation. In: Same places, different spaces - Proceedings ascilite Auckland 2009, 6-9 Dec 2009, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Clough, Gill; Jones, Ann; McAndrew, Patrick and Scanlon, Eileen (). Informal learning evidence in online communities of mobile device enthusiasts. In: Ally, Mohamed eds. Mobile Learning: Transforming the Delivery of Education and Training Athabasca University Press, pp. 99-112.
- Gillen, Julia; Twining, Peter; Ferguson, Rebecca; Butters, Oliver; Clough, Gill; Gaved, Mark; Peachey, Anna; Seamans, Dan and Sheehy, Kieron. (). A learning community for teens on a virtual island - The Schome Park Teen Second Life Pilot project. eLearning Papers, 2009 (15) pp. www.elearningpapers.eu.
- Kerawalla, Lucinda; Scanlon, Eileen; Twiner, Alison; Jones, Ann; Littleton, Karen; Conole, Grainne; Mulholland, Paul; Collins, Trevor; Blake, Canan; Clough, Gill and Gaved, Mark. (). Technological mediation of personal inquiry in UK GCSE geography: opportunities and challenges. In: CAL09 - Learning in Digital Worlds, 23-25 Mar 2009, Brighton, UK.
- Sheehy, K.; Ferguson, R. and Clough, G.. (). Learning in the Panopticon: ethical and social issues in building a virtual educational environment. International Journal of Social Science. Special Edition: Virtual Reality in Distance Education, 2 (2) pp. 25-32.
- Marshall, Christine; Issroff, Kim; Scanlon, Eileen; Blake, Canan; Holliman, Richard; Smidt, Samantha; Clough, Gill; Banks, Frank; Jones, Ann; Roche, Nel and Waycott, Jenny. (). Investigating mobile science learning in workplace settings. In: CAL07: Development, Disruption and Debate - D3, 26-28 Mar 2007, Dublin, Ireland.
- Clough, G.; Jones, A. C; McAndrew, P. and Scanlon, E.. (). Informal learning with PDAs and smartphones. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 24 (5) pp. 359-371.
- Ferguson, Rebecca; Clough, Gill and Hosein, Anesa. (). Postgraduate blogs: beyond the ordinary research journal. In: Research Proceedings of the 14th Association for Learning Technology Conference (ALT-C 2007) Beyond control: learning technology for the social network generation, 4-6 Sep 2007, Nottingham, UK.
- Scanlon, Eileen; Banks, Frank; Blake, Canan; Clough, Gill; Jones, Ann; Holliman, Richard; Issroff, Kim; Marshall, Christine; Roche, Nel; Smidt, Samantha and Waycott, Jenny. (). PDAS as workplace tools for science teachers. In: IADIS International Conference - Mobile Learning 2007, 5-7 Jul, Lisbon, Portugal.
|MIAG (Migration for Inclusive African Growth)||2017 - 2018|
|PKF (Police Knowledge Fund)||2015 - 2017|