Prof John Richardson
John T. E. Richardson is emeritus professor in student learning at the UK Open University. He taught and researched in psychology at Brunel University from 1975 to 2001, when he moved to the Open University to take up a new chair in student learning and assessment in the Institute of Educational Technology. His main research interests were concerned with the relationship between students’ perceptions of their courses of study in higher education and the approaches to studying that they adopt on those courses. He was also responsible for institutional research on the evaluation of both courses and programmes of study at the Open University. In 2002-2003, he contributed to the report of the Student Feedback Project Steering Group to the Higher Education Funding Council for England on Collecting and Using Student Feedback on Quality and Standards of Learning and Teaching in HE, and in 2003-2005 he was part of a team based at the Open University that carried out a pilot study for the Funding Council towards the National Student Survey. He was a co-director of a project on the social and organisational mediation of university learning funded under Phase III of the Economic and Social Research Council’s Teaching and Learning Research Programme from 2004 to 2008. In 2008, he completed a literature review on the role of ethnicity and gender as predictors of degree attainment as part of the HEA/ECU Ethnicity, Gender and Degree Attainment Project and was a member of the team that produced a report for the Funding Council on league tables and their impact on higher education institutions. He retired from the Open University in July 2017.
- Whitelock, D.; Twiner, A.; Richardson, J. T. E.; Field, D. and Pulman, S.. (). What does a "good" essay look like? Rainbow diagrams representing essay quality. In: International Technology Enhanced Assessment Conference (TEA 2017), 5-6 Oct 2017, Barcelona, Spain.
- Whitelock, Denise; Twiner, Alison; Richardson, John T. E.; Field, Debora and Pulman, Stephen. (). What types of essay feedback influence implementation: Structure alone or structure and content?. In: The 2016 International Technology Enhanced Assessment Conference (TEA 2016), 5-6 Oct 2016, Tallinn, Estonia.
- Whitelock, Denise; Twiner, Alison; Richardson, John T. E.; Field, Debora and Pulman, Stephen. (). OpenEssayist: a supply and demand learning analytics tool for drafting academic essays. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Learning Analytics And Knowledge, ACM, 208-212.
- Whitelock, Denise; Twiner, Alison; Richardson, John T. E.; Field, Debra and Pulman, Stephen. (). Feedback on Academic Essay Writing through pre-Emptive Hints: Moving Towards "Advice for Action". In: EDEN RW8, 2014.
- Richardson, John T. E.; Alden Rivers, Bethany and Whitelock, Denise. (). The role of feedback in the under-attainment of ethnic minority students: evidence from distance education. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 40 (4) pp. 557-573.
- Gijbels, David; Donche, Vincent; Richardson, John T. E. and Vermunt, Jan D. (). Learning patterns in higher education: dimensions and research perspectives. London: Routledge.
- Whitelock, Denise; Twiner, Alison; Richardson, John T. E.; Field, Debora and Pulman, Stephen. (). OpenEssayist: real-life testing of an automated feedback system for draft essay writing. In: #design4learning: from blended learning to learning analytics in HE, 26-27 Nov 2014, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Field, Debora; Richardson, John T. E.; Pulman, Stephen; Van Labeke, Nicolas and Whitelock, Denise. (). An exploration of the features of graded student essays using domain-independent natural language processing techniques. International Journal of e-Assessment.
- Alden, Bethany; Van Labeke, Nicolas; Field, Debora; Pulman, Stephen; Richardson, John T. E. and Whitelock, Denise. (). Using student experience as a model for designing an automatic feedback system for short essays. International Journal of e-Assessment.
- Alden Rivers, B and Richardson, J. T. E.. (). Unearthing learners’ beliefs about reflection to innovate business education for the 21st century. In: EDiNEB Conference Proceedings: Innovative Business Learning Design for 21st Century Learning., Kemmy Business School, Limerick.
- Alden Rivers, Bethany; Richardson, John T. E. and Price, Linda. (). Promoting reflection in asynchronous virtual learning spaces: tertiary distance tutors’ conceptions.. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 15 (3) pp. 215-231.
- Alden Rivers, Bethany; Whitelock, Denise; Richardson, John T. E.; Field, Debora and Pulman, Stephen (). Functional, frustrating and full of potential: learners' experiences of a prototype for automated essay feedback.. In: Kalz, Marco and Ras, Eric eds. Computer Assisted Assessment: Research into E-Assessment Cham, Switzerland: Springer, pp. 40-52.
- Whitelock, Denise; Field, Debora; Pulman, Stephen; Richardson, John T. E. and Van Labeke, Nicolas. (). Designing and testing visual representations of draft essays for higher education students. In: 2nd International Workshop on Discourse-Centric Learning Analytics, 4th Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge (LAK2014).
- Whitelock, Denise; Field, Debora; Pulman, Stephen; Richardson, John T. E. and Van Labeke, Nicolas. (). OpenEssayist: an automated feedback system that supports university students as they write summative essays. In: The 1st International Conference on Open Learning: Role, Challenges and Aspirations.
- Field, Debora; Pulman, Stephen; Van Labeke, Nicolas; Whitelock, Denise and Richardson, John T. E.. (). Did I really mean that? Applying automatic summarisation techniques to formative feedback. In: International Conference Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, RANLP, 7-13 Sep 2013, Hissar, Bulgaria.
- Van Labeke, N.; Whitelock, D; Field, D.; Pulman, S. and Richardson, J. T. E.. (). What is my essay really saying? Using extractive summarization to motivate reflection and redrafting. In: AIED Workshop in Formative Feedback in Interactive Learning, 2013, Memphis, TN.
- Van Labeke, Nicolas; Whitelock, Denise; Field, Debora; Pulman, Stephen and Richardson, John T. E.. (). OpenEssayist: extractive summarisation and formative assessment of free-text essays. In: 1st International Workshop on Discourse-Centric Learning Analytics, 8 Apr 2013, Leuven, Belgium.
- Ashby, Alison; Richardson, John T. E. and Woodley, Alan. (). National student feedback surveys in distance education: An investigation at the UK Open University. Open Learning: The Journal of Open and Distance Learning, 26 (1) pp. 5-25.
- Richardson, John T. E.; Slater, John B. and Wilson, Jane. (). The National Student Survey: development, findings and implications. Studies in Higher Education, 32 (5) pp. 557-580.
- Barnett, Matthew P.; Newman, Howard W.; Richardson, John T. E.; Thompson, Pamela and Upton, Dominic. (). The constituent structure of autobiographical memory: Autobiographical fluency in people with chronic epilepsy. Memory, 8 (6) pp. 413-424.
- Richardson, John T. E. (). Handbook of Qualitative Research Methods for Psychology and the Social Sciences. Leicester: BPS Books.
- Hampson, Peter J.; Marks, David F. and Richardson, J. T. E. (). Imagery: Current Developments. London: Routledge.
- Murray, Linda A. and Richardson, John T. E. (). Intelligent Systems in a Human Context: Development, Implications, and Applications. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Denis, M.; Engelkamp, Johannes and Richardson, John (). Cognitive and Neuropsychological Approaches to Mental Imagery. Dordrecht: Martinus Nijhoff.
- Barry, C. and Richardson, J. T. E. (). Accounts of oral reading in deep dyslexia. In: Whitaker, H. A. eds. Phonological Processes and Brain Mechanisms New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Richardson, John T. E.; Eysenck, Michael W. and Warren Piper, David (). Student Learning: Research in Education and Cognitive Psychology. Guildford: SRHE & Open University Press..
- Russell, D. G.; Marks, D. F. and Richardson, J. T. E. (). Imagery 2: Proceedings of the 2nd International Imagery Conference. Dunedin: Human Performance Associates.
|Supportive Automated Feedback for Short Essay Answers||2012 - 2014|