Dr Liz Marr
LTI Director of Teaching
Liz has worked in UK Higher Education for almost 30 years, as a lecturer for 20 years and more latterly as part of the senior management of the Open and responsibility for the University’s Access curriculum, Open Programme, MA online and distance education (MAODE), Academic Professional Development, the development of research and scholarship in the areas of widening access and inclusion and overall responsibility for the University’s UK and international validation partnerships, including private and alternative providers. She is managing editor of the international journal Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning and an editorial board member of Learning and Teaching in the International Social Sciences.
Liz has a long history of engagement with the widening participation agenda in the UK, initially through the Aimhigher programme and then through Lifelong Learning Networks. She joined the OU as Director of the Centre for Widening Participation and has since overseen the complete embedding of widening access and success activity across the whole institution, with a principal focus on adult and part time learners. She is Vice President of the European Association of Distance Teaching Universities, Chair of the UK Action on Access Forum, and and Executive member of the Universities Association for Lifelong Learning.
- Marr, Elizabeth. (). Adult Learning, Social Mobility and Social Justice: A view from the UK. Making Room for Adults, 2018 (5) pp. 61-79.
- McKendry, Stephanie; Marr, Liz and Butcher, John. (). Editorial - Writing Together: Practitioners, Academics and Policy Makers. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning, 20 (3) pp. 1-6.
- Marr, Liz and Butcher, John (). Learning Through Life Revisited: The Role of Policy in Enhancing Social Mobility Through Access to Part-Time Study. In: Billingham, Stuart eds. Access to Success and Social Mobility through Higher Education: A Curate's Egg Rotterdam: Emerald Books, pp. 51-65.
- Müller, Romina; Remdisch, Sabine; Köhler, Katharina; Marr, Liz; Repo, Saara and Yndigegn, Carsten. (). Easing access for lifelong learners: a comparison of European models for university lifelong learning. International Journal of Lifelong Education, 34 (5) pp. 530-550.
- Marr, Elizabeth; Curry, George and Rose-Adams, John (). Autonomy, legitimacy and confidence: using mainstream curriculum to successfully widen participation. In: Murray, Neil and Klinger, Christopher M. eds. Aspirations, Access and Attainment: International Perspectives on Widening Participation and an Agenda for Change Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 123-135.
- Marr, Liz and Harvey, Morag. (). Whose University is it anyway? The complex world(s) of lifelong (higher) learning, government policy and institutional habitus. In: Access to Higher Education: is it a right, a privilege or a necessity?” EAN 21st Annual Conference, 27-29 Jun 2012, Zagreb, Croatia.
- Marr, Elizabeth; Mossidiss, Sonia and Harvey, Morag (). Opening up universities: a comparative study of barriers to lifelong learning in Germany and England. In: Jones, Bill and Oosthuizen, Susan eds. Part-Time study: the new paradigm for higher education. UALL 2011 conference proceedings Leicester: Universities Association of Lifelong Learning, pp. 92-107.
- Marr, Elizabeth and Streater, Kevin. (). Growing your own graduates: opportunities and challenges for flexible higher education in the new funding environment. In: Higher education for the social good? The place of lifelong learning, UALL Annual Conference, 18-20 Mar 2012, Cambridge.
- Marr, Liz and Forsyth, Rachel (). Identity Crisis: Working in Higher Education in the 21st Century. Stoke-on-Trent, U.K.: Trentham Books.
- Marr, Liz; Welsh, Cath and Lomas, Mike. (). Advance: challenging the structure of higher education to meet the needs of adult work-based learners. Work Based Learning eJournal, 1 (2) pp. 138-159.
- Marr, Elizabeth; Woodman, David and Huggins, Richard. (). Bringing back the classroom: the experience of international students in the neo-liberal university. In: Changing Practice – Changing Times, Higher Education Academy Annual Conference, 05-06 Jul 2011, Nottingham.
- Marr, Elizabeth and Forsyth, Rachel. (). What do you really need to know? The importance of the third space in developing institutional CPD frameworks. In: Changing Practice – Changing Times, Higher Education Academy Annual Conference, 05-06 Jul 2011, Nottingham.
- Marr, Liz and Rose-Adams, John. (). Feeding the roots of lifelong learning: embedding critical reflection in skills-based programmes. In: 19th EAN Annual Conference. From Access to Success: Closing the Knowledge Divide (Higher Education for Under-Represented Groups in the Market Economy), 14-16 Jun 2010, Södertörn University, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Marr, Liz and Aynsley Smith, Sheila (). Putting students first: developing accessible and integrated support. In: Thomas, Liz and Hixenbaugh, Paula eds. Personal Tutoring in Higher Education Stoke On Trent: Trentham Books.
|E-SLP (European SLPs for continuous professional development and lifelong learning)||2018 - 2020|
Areas of expertise
- Member of the British Educational Research Association