Dr Wayne Holmes BA, MA, MSc (Oxon), PhD (Oxon), FHEA
Having been involved in education, educational technologies and education research for more than 25 years, Wayne is currently a lecturer in Learning Sciences and Innovation, at the Institute of Educational Technology (IET), The Open University (UK). He holds a PhD in Learning and Technology from the University of Oxford, an MSc in Education (Oxon), an MA in Philosophy (distinction) and a BA in Film. He also holds a Fellowship of The Higher Education Academy.
At The Open University, he leads on Artificial intelligence in Education (AIED): the application of AI to both enhance and further understand learning, and the ethical and social implications of AI applied in educational contexts. He has co-authored two reports and a book on AIED: Intelligence Unleashed. An Argument for AI in Education (Luckin, Holmes, Forcier and Griffiths, 2016), Technology-enhanced Personalised Learning. Untangling the Evidence (Holmes, Anastopoulou, Schaumburg and Mavrikis, 2018), and Artificial Intelligence in Education. Promise and Implications for Teaching and Learning (Holmes, Bialik and Fadel, 2019). Currently, he is a member of the UK Parliament’s All Party Parliamentary Group on AI (Education Taskforce), he is developing policy guidelines on AIED for UNESCO, and he is a member of the European Association of Distance Teaching Universities (EADTU) AIED Taskforce.
In IET, he has been (i) PI on Technology-enhanced Personalised Learning, a project funded by Robert Bosch Stiftung, (ii) PI on Data-informed Learning Design for Future Schools, a project funded by the Advanced Innovation Centre for Future Education of Beijing Normal University, (iii) Co-I (with Professor Denise Whitelock) on CODUR, an EU ERASMUS + funded project which is developing metrics to enable effective comparisons of online distance universities, and (iv) Co-I (with Professor Denise Whitelock), Work Package 8 Lead and OU Pilot Lead for TeSLA, an EU H2020 project which is developing a system to authenticate online assessments. Previously, he contributed to the OU Redesign and Students First Transformation projects, and to the Critical Reviwe. He was also academic lead for innovative pedagogy in MINERVA, an OU project that helped to devise new models of curriculum design and module production, using agile principles, innovative pedagogies and new technology, and I led on the development of the Artificial Intelligence in Education week for a new module on the OU’s MA Open and Distance Education.
Before joining the IET, Wayne was a researcher and he taught at the UCL Knowledge Lab, UCL Institute of Education. At the UCL Knowledge Lab, he was a researcher on the ‘Excellent’ rated FP7 project iTalk2Learn (318051, PI for the UCL KL: Dr Mavrikis Manolis), which also received awards at the EC-TEL 2014 and AIED 2015 conferences. He was responsible for the development of the intervention model and a novel approach to formative feedback, and he co-organised the UK summative evaluations. He was also a Senior Teaching Associate at the University of Bristol, where he taught modules on Teaching and Learning with Technology, Research Methods, Designing Technologies for Learning, and Controversial Issues in Special and Inclusive Education, for the MSc Education (Learning, Technology and Society), MSc Education, Technology and Society, and MSc Education (Special and Inclusive Education).
- Holmes, Wayne; Iniesto, Francisco; Sharples, Mike and Scanlon, Eileen. (). ETHICS in AIED: Who Cares? An EC-TEL workshop. In: EC-TEL 2019 Fourteenth European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, 16-19 Sep 2019, Delft (Netherlands).
- Okada, Alexandra; Whitelock, Denise; Holmes, Wayne and Edwards, Chris. (). e-Authentication for online assessment: A mixed-method study. British Journal of Educational Technology, 50 (2) pp. 861-875.
- Edwards, Chris; Whitelock, Denise; Brouns, Francis; Rodríguez, M. Elena; Okada, Alexandra; Baneres, David and Holmes, Wayne. (). An embedded approach to plagiarism detection using the TeSLA e-authentication system. In: TEA 2018 Technology Enhanced Assessment Conference, 10-11 Dec 2018, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Zhang, Jingjing; Shan, Li; Mavrikis, Manolis; Holmes, Wayne; Ma, Ning and Gao, M. (). Use of Feedback According to Students’ Affective State during Problem Solving. In: The 9th International Learning Analytics & Knowledge Conference: Innovative problem solving assessment with learning analytics, 4-8 Mar 2019, Tempe, Arizona, USA.
- Holmes, Wayne; Bialik, Maya and Fadel, Charles (). Artificial Intelligence In Education: Promises and Implications for Teaching and Learning. Boston, MA: Center for Curriculum Redesign.
- Holmes, Wayne; Bektik, Duygu; Woolf, Beverly and Luckin, Rose. (). Ethics in AIED: Who cares?. In: 20th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED'19), 25-29 Jun 2019, Chicago.
- Zhang, Jingjing; Gao, Ming; Holmes, Wayne; Mavrikis, Manolis and Ma, Ning. (). Interaction patterns in exploratory learning environments for mathematics: a sequential analysis of feedback and external representations in Chinese schools. Interactive Learning Environments (Early Access).
- Holmes, Wayne; Nguyen, Quan; Zhang, Jingjing; Mavrikis, Manolis and Rienties, Bart. (). Learning analytics for learning design in online distance learning. Distance Education, 40 (3) pp. 309-329.
- Holmes, Wayne and Anastopoulou, Stamatina. (). What do students at distance universities think about AI?. In: L@S 2019: Sixth ACM Conference on Learning @ Scale, 24-25 Jun 2019, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Holmes, Wayne; Bektik, Duygu; Whitelock, Denise and Woolf, Beverly. (). Ethics in AIED: Who cares?. In: 19th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED'18), 27-30 Jun 2018, London.
- Edwards, C.; Whitelock, D.; Okada, A. and Holmes, W.. (). Trust in online authentication tools for online assessment in both formal and informal contexts. In: ICERI2018 Proceedings, 12-14 Nov 2018, Seville, Spain.
- Mavrikis, Manolis; Holmes, Wayne; Zhang, Jingjing and Ma, Ning. (). Fractions Lab Goes East: Learning and Interaction with an Exploratory Learning Environment in China. In: Artificial Intelligence in Education: 19th International Conference, AIED 2018, London, UK, June 27–30, 2018, Proceedings, Part II, 209-214.
- Edwards, Chris; Holmes, Wayne; Whitelock, Denise and Okada, Ale. (). Student Trust in e-Authentication. In: L@S 2018: Fifth (2018) ACM Conference on Learning @ Scale, 26-28 Jun 2018, London, UK.
- Okada, Alexandra; Whitelock, Denise; Holmes, Wayne and Edwards, Chris. (). Student acceptance of online assessment with e-authentication in the UK. In: 20th International Conference Technology Enhanced Assessment (TEA 2017): Revised Selected Papers, 109-122.
- Holmes, Wayne; Anastopoulou, Stamatina; Schaumburg, Heike and Mavrikis, Manolis (). Technology-enhanced Personalised Learning: Untangling the Evidence. Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH, Stuttgart.
- Holmes, Wayne (). Digital games-based learning. Time to adoption: two to three years?. In: Sheehy, Kieron and Holliman, Andrew eds. Education and New Technologies: Perils and Promises for Learners Routledge, pp. 196-212.
- du Boulay, Ben; Poulovasillis, Alexandra; Holmes, Wayne and Mavrikis, Manolis (). Artificial Intelligence And Big Data Technologies To Close The Achievement Gap.. In: Luckin, Rose eds. Enhancing Learning and Teaching with Technology London: UCL Institute of Education Press, pp. 256-285.
- Bektik, Duygu; Cross, Simon; Holmes, Wayne; Aleksieva, Lyubka and Whitelock, Denise. (). A European pilot study of a modular assessment system designed to authenticate the authorship of online learners. In: CALRG Annual Conference 2017, 14-16 Jun 2017, The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Rienties, Bart; Nguyen, Quan; Holmes, Wayne and Reedy, Katharine. (). A review of ten years of implementation and research in aligning learning design with learning analytics at the Open University UK. Interaction Design and Architecture(s), 33 pp. 134-154.
- Grawemeyer, Beate; Wollenschlaeger, Alex; Gutierrez-Santos, Sergio; Holmes, Wayne; Mavrikis, Manolis and Poulovassilis, Alexandra. (). Using graph-based modelling to explore changes in students’ affective states during exploratory learning tasks. In: Educational Data Mining, 2017, Wuhan, China.
- Brasher, A.; Holmes, W. and Whitelock, D.. (). Comparing online distance universities. In: EDULEARN17 Proceedings, IATED, 5411-5415.
- Vasalou, Asimina; Khaled, Rilla; Holmes, Wayne and Gooch, Daniel. (). Digital games-based learning for children with dyslexia: A social constructivist perspective on engagement and learning during group game-play. Computers & Education, 114 pp. 175-192.
- Okada, Alexandra; Whitelock, Denise and Holmes, Wayne. (). Students’ views on trust-based e-assessment system for online and blended environments. In: The Online, Open and Flexible Higher Education Conference, 25-27 Oct 2017, Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Grawemeyer, Beate; Mavrikis, Manolis; Holmes, Wayne; Gutiérrez-Santos, Sergio; Wiedmann, Michael and Rummel, Nikol. (). Affective learning: improving engagement and enhancing learning with affect-aware feedback. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 27 (1) pp. 119-158.
- Luckin, Rose; Baines, Ed; Cukurova, Mutlu; Holmes, Wayne and Mann, Michael (). Solved! Making the case for collaborative problem-solving. Nesta.
- Holmes, W.; Mavrikis, M.; Rummel, N.; Grawemeyer, B.; Wiedmann, M. and Loibl, K.. (). A Talk on the Wild Side: The Direct and Indirect Impact of Speech Recognition on Learning Gains. In: EARLI 2016: SIG 6 (Instructional Design) and SIG 7 (Learning and Instruction with Computers), 24-26 Aug 2016, University of Burgundy, Dijon, France.
- Howard-Jones, Paul and Holmes, Wayne (). Neuroscience Research and Classroom Practice. In: Horvath, Jared Cooney; Lodge, Jason M. and Hattie, John eds. From the Laboratory to the Classroom: Translating Science of Learning for Teachers Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 253-278.
- Luckin, Rose; Holmes, Wayne; Griffiths, Mark and Forcier, Laurie B. (). Intelligence Unleashed: An argument for AI in Education. Pearson Education, London.
- Rummel, Nikol; Mavrikis, Manolis; Wiedmann, Michael; Loibl, Katharina; Mazziotti, Claudia; Holmes, Wayne and Hansen, Alice. (). Combining Exploratory Learning With Structured Practice to Foster Conceptual and Procedural Fractions Knowledge. In: Transforming Learning, Empowering Learners: 2016 Conference Proceedings Volume I, International Society of the Learning Sciences (ISLS), Singapore, 58-65.
- Holmes, Wayne and Dowker, Ann. (). Catch Up Numeracy: a targeted intervention for children who are low-attaining in mathematics. Research in Mathematics Education, 15 (3) pp. 249-265.
- Holmes, Wayne. (). Using game‐based learning to support struggling readers at home. Learning, Media and Technology, 36 (1) pp. 5-19.
|ADMINS (Assistants to the Disclosure and Management of Information about Needs and Support)||2019 - 2020|
Areas of expertise
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy