Prof Anne Adams MSc (UCL), BSc (Mdx)
Professor of Engaged Practice and Research
As a passionate developer of others I am always eager to find the innovative solution and way through challenges that suits others needs. I have used technology enhanced learning in many different contexts and I find it fascinating how technology, often because of its simplicity, brings to the forefront social, organizational and political problems that areoften hidden in face to face communications. I have found that technology also has the potential to empower and enable people, as long as it is driven by peoples needs and not technological requirements.
Through my 20-year career I have focused my leadership on Knowledge Exchange and professional development through both ‘Engaged Practice’ and ‘Deep Learning’. My external and internal leadership contributions are demonstrated through a combination of: contract research leading to public sector engagement and international support for professional development resulting in business consultancy. This is collectively evidenced through upper quartile performance in external research funding, REF-able publications, strategic and operational changes to the OU’s professional development culture, Consultancy projects, Invitation by government, national and international invites for expertise on knowledge exchange, professional development culture change and innovative Knowledge Exchange outputs.
Deep learning and continuing professional development (CPD) are often undervalued producing simplistic, ‘tick-box’ processes and surface learning. My expertise and leadership in digital, engaged practice, innovations for and deep learning solutions has been recognised and rewarded through prominent contract research with national and international cross-discipline funders including; the European Commission (EC), the College of Policing, The Engineering and Physical Research Council (EPSRC), The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and government departments totalling over £6 Million
From an initial acting career in theatre and film I spent several years in Market Research. My reputation as a researcher was then saved by a degree in Psychology with IT. It was here that I realised computers can do quite useful things as long as they were designed for mere mortals to use them and people are supported in developing their use of these technologies. I continued with this notion by studying an MSc in HCI (human computer interaction) at the UCL interaction center [formerly known as the ergonomics group]. I furthered my knowledge with a PhD at UCL, CS & psychology department looking at security, privacy and multimedia communicaitons. After a research fellow posts & consultancy work at Middlesex University & UCL my quest to make computers work and support peoples development through 'elearning' took me into an academic position at Nottingham Univesity. I now continue my 'elearning' and professional development research in IET at the Open University.
Dr. Adams is the IET Associate Director for Academic Professional Development positioned in the faculty of Wellbeing, Education and Language Studies (WELS). This work builds on her strategic coordination of practitioner inquiry and action research support within the OU OpenCETLS, as well as developing a mentoring programme for the CETL Fellows. Dr Adams is also the research lead for innovating pedagogy and a senior lecturer in IET.
More recent research activities include Associate Director for knowledge exchange and technology pathways in 'The National Centre for Policing Research and Professional Development'. This project began work in September 2015 and is funded by a grant from the Home Office and the Higher Education Funding Council for England, and managed by the College of Policing. It is coordinated and works closely with the OU policing consoritum with 12 policing forces / bodies, overseen by a Steering Group chaired by Dr Steven Chase, Director of People at Thames Valley Police, and Professor Jean Hartley as the Academic Director. Dr Adams also leads a research project working with highskillz (a serious gaming company)within the national centre on 'interview simulation for interviewing children'
Dr Adams is Principle Investigator on policing CPD and eLearning development work has now been funded with CEPOL (the European Policing College) to develop requirements and a procurement process for their eNet systems.
Dr Adams is also Principle Investigator (with Oxford University Education Dept) on the ESRC Impact Accelerator Award developing teacher training and CPD open educational resources around 'tricky topics' a practice based application of threshold concepts.
Dr. Adams also engages in scholarship activities and has completed two scholarship projects:
GET-IT Project: Participatory Video techniques have been used to support AL staff development across the faculties of business, Education, Healthcare and educational technology. The results from this project identify that not only are these methods useful at an immediate tool but as an ongoing resource for workshop reflections. The videos have currently been used by OUBS Course Teams to support international collaboration and understanding aroudn practice based learning.
Mobile Clinical Learnig Project: Working with UCL CHIME and Turkish Teaching Hospital mobile devices are currently being distributed to clincians to support them in their work-based learning activities. A comparative mixed method evaluation of these mobile support mechanisms will support an international viewpoint on the use of mobile learning in a global arena.
Dr. Adams has also been commissioned by the NHS to complete consultancy work on digital libraries and information provision in safety critical contexts.
- Clough, Gill and Adams, Anne. (). Evidence Cafes: Overcoming conflicting motivations and timings. Research for All (In Press).
- Adams, Anne; Hart, Jennefer; Iacovides, Ioanna; Beavers, Sian; Olivera, Manuel and Margoudi, Maria. (). Co-created Evaluation: identifying how games support police learning. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 132 pp. 34-44.
- FitzGerald, Elizabeth; Adams, Anne; Bektik, Duygu; Bossu, Carina; Clough, Gill; Ismail, Nashwa and Sargent, Julia. (). Tools and Technologies for Advancing Professional Development. In: CALRG Annual Conference 2019, 17-18 Jun 2019, The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Iacovides, Ioanna; Cox, Anna; Furniss, Dominic; Stawarz, Katarzyna; Jennett, Charlene and Adams, Anne. (). Supporting engagement in research through a game design competition. Research for All, 3 (1) pp. 25-41.
- Alain, George; Coughlan, Tim; Adams, Anne and Yanacopulos, Helen. (). A Process for Co-Designing Educational Technology Systems for Refugee Children. In: British HCI 2018, 4-6 Jul 2018, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK.
- Alain, George; Coughlan, Tim; Adams, Anne and Yanacopulos, Helen. (). Qualitative Data Analysis Challenges in Co-Designing Educational Technology Systems for Refugee Children. In: British HCI 2018, Workshop Title: Qualitative Data Research in HCI, 3 Jul 2018, Belfast.
- Adams, Anne; Clough, Gill and FitzGerald, Elizabeth (). Police Knowledge Exchange: Full Report 2018. The Open University, UK.
- Adams, Anne; Clough, Gill and FitzGerald, Elizabeth (). Police Knowledge Exchange: Summary Report. The Open University, UK.
- Clough, Gill; Adams, Anne and Halford, Eric. (). Evidence Cafés and Practitioner Cafés supported by online resources: A route to innovative training in practice based approaches. European Police Science and Research Bulletin: Special Conference Edition No. 3 pp. 115-122.
- Hart, Jennefer; Iacovides, Ioanna; Adams, Anne; Oliveira, Manuel and Magroudi, Maria. (). Understanding Engagement within the Context of a Safety Critical Game. In: The ACM SIGCHI Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play (CHIPLAY 2017), 15-18 Oct 2017, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Sharples, M.; Adams, A.; Alozie, N.; Ferguson, R.; FitzGerald, E.; Gaved, M.; McAndrew, P.; Means, B.; Remold, J.; Rienties, B.; Roschelle, J.; Vogt, K.; Whitelock, D. and Yarnall, L.. (). 创新教学报告2015 —探索教学、学习与评价的新形式 [Innovating Pedagogy 2015]. 开放学习研究 [Open Learning] pp. 1-18.
- Margoudi, Maria; Hart, Jennefer; Adams, Anne and Oliveira, Manuel. (). Exploring Emotion Representation to Support Dialogue in Police Training on Child Interviewing. In: Serious Games JCSG 2016, Springer, 73-86.
- Cruz, Sara; Lencastre, José Alberto; Coutinho, Clara; Clough, Gill and Adams, Anne. (). Threshold Concepts Vs. Tricky Topics - Exploring the Causes of Student's Misunderstandings with the Problem Distiller Tool. In: 8th International Conference on Computer Supported Education, 21-23 Apr 2016, Rome, Italy.
- Davies, Gareth; Stevens, James; Gaved, Mark; Clayton, Paul and Adams, Anne (). MAZI Deliverable Report D2.4: Design, progress and evaluation of the Deptford CreekNet pilot (version 1). MAZI Consortium, Volos, Greece.
- Grand, Ann; Holliman, Richard; Collins, Trevor and Adams, Anne. (). "We muddle our way through": shared and distributed expertise in digital engagement with research. Journal of Science Communication, 15 (4) pp. 1-23.
- Hartnett, Elizabeth and Adams, Anne (). JuxtaLearn DELIVERABLE Report D3.5 Service scenario documentation. The Open University.
- Sharples, Mike; Adams, Anne; Alozie, N; Ferguson, Rebecca; FitzGerald, Elizabeth; Gaved, Mark; McAndrew, Patrick; Means, B; Remold, J; Rienties, Bart; Roschelle, J; Vogt, K; Whitelock, Denise and Yarnall, L (). Innovating Pedagogy 2015: Open University Innovation Report 4. The Open University.
- Holliman, Richard; Adams, Anne; Blackman, Tim; Collins, Trevor; Davies, Gareth; Dibb, Sally; Grand, Ann; Holti, Richard; McKerlie, Fiona; Mahony, Nick and Wissenburg, Astrid (). An Open Research University. Milton Keynes: The Open University.
- Adams, Anne and Clough, Gill. (). The e-assessment burger: supporting the before and after in e-assessment systems. Interaction Design and Architecture(s), 25 pp. 39-57.
- Adams, Anne; Hartnett, Elizabeth and Clough, Gill. (). Turn it on its head! Juxtaposed Learning. Creative Education (In Press).
- FitzGerald, Elizabeth and Adams, Anne. (). Revolutionary and evolutionary technology design processes in location-based interactions. International Journal of Mobile Human Computer Interaction, 7 (1) pp. 59-78.
- Grand, Ann; Davies, Gareth; Holliman, Richard and Adams, Anne. (). Mapping Public Engagement with Research in a UK University. PLoS ONE, 10 (4) pp. 1-19.
- Adams, Anne; Hartnett, Elizabeth; Clough, Gill; Grand, Ann and Goldsmith, Rick. (). Artistic participatory video-making for science engagement. In: CHI 2014 annual ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Science, 26 Apr - 1 May 2014, Toronto, Canada.
- Adams, Anne; FitzGerald, Elizabeth and Priestnall, Gary. (). Of catwalk technologies and boundary creatures. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI).
- Adams, Anne and Ngimwa, Pauline. (). The different roles of ‘design process champions’ for digital libraries in African higher education. International Journal of Digital Libraries, 13 (3-4) pp. 119-133.
- FitzGerald, Elizabeth and Adams, Anne. (). GeoHCI for learning in the wild. In: GeoHCI Workshop at CHI 2013, 27-28 Apr 2013, Paris, France.
- FitzGerald, Elizabeth; Ferguson, Rebecca; Adams, Anne; Gaved, Mark; Mor, Yishay and Thomas, Rhodri. (). Augmented reality and mobile learning: the state of the art. International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning, 5 (4) pp. 43-58.
- van der Linden, Janet; Rogers, Yvonne; Coughlan, Tim; Adams, Anne; Wilson, Caroline; Haya, Pablo; Martin, Estafania and Collins, Trevor. (). Evocative computing – creating meaningful lasting experiences in connecting with the past. In: Interact 2013, 2-6 Sep 2013, Cape Town. South Africa.
- Hartnett, Elizabeth; Goldsmith, Rick; José, Rui; Malzahn, Nils and Adams, Anne (). JuxtaLearn D3.2 Performance Framework. Open University, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Pike, Anne and Adams, Anne. (). Digital exclusion or learning exclusion? An ethnographic study of adult male distance learners in English prisons. Research in Learning Technology.
- FitzGerald, Elizabeth; Adams, Anne; Ferguson, Rebecca; Gaved, Mark; Mor, Yishay and Thomas, Rhodri. (). Augmented reality and mobile learning: the state of the art. In: 11th World Conference on Mobile and Contextual Learning (mLearn 2012), 16-18 Oct 2012, Helsinki, Finland.
- Coughlan, Tim; Collins, Trevor D.; Adams, Anne; Rogers, Yvonne; Haya, Pablo A. and Martin, Estefania. (). The conceptual framing, design and evaluation of device ecologies for collaborative activities. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 70 (10) pp. 765-779.
- Coughlan, Tim; van der Linden, Janet and Adams, Anne. (). Local connections: designing technologies for discovery and creativity within the community. Interactions, 19 (1) pp. 18-22.
- Adams, Anne; Astruc, Lluisa; Garrido, Cecilia and Sweeney, Breen (). Situated learning in virtual worlds and identity reformation. In: Peachey, Anna and Childs, Mark eds. Reinventing Ourselves: Contemporary Concepts of Identity in Virtual Worlds London: Springer-Verlag, pp. 275-299.
- Adams, Anne; Coughlan, Tim; Lea, John; Rogers, Yvonne; Davies, Sarah-Jane and Collins, Trevor. (). Designing interconnected distributed resources for collaborative inquiry based science education. In: ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, 13-17 Jun 2011, Ottawa.
- Adams, Anne; Coughlan, Tim; Rogers, Yvonne; Collins, Trevor; Davies, Sarah-Jane; Blake, Canan and Lea, John. (). Live linking of fieldwork to the laboratory increases students inquiry based reflections. In: CSCL 2011: International Conference on Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, 04-08 Jul 2011, Hong Kong.
- Coughlan, Tim; Adams, Anne; Collins, Trevor; Davies, Sarah-Jane; Lea, John and Rogers, Yvonne. (). Working with ‘mission control’ in scientific fieldwork: supporting interactions between in situ and distanced collaborators. In: The 2011 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 19-23 Mar 2011, Hangzhou, China.
- Coughlan, Tim; Adams, Anne; Rogers, Yvonne and Davies, Sarah-Jane. (). Enabling live dialogic and collaborative learning between field and indoor contexts. In: The 25th BCS Conference on Human Computer Interaction, 04-08 Jul 2011, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Ngimwa, Pauline and Adams, Anne. (). Role of policies in collaborative design process for digital libraries within African higher education. Library Hi Tech, 29 (4) pp. 678 -696.
- Blake, Canan; Adams, Anne and Scanlon, Eileen. (). Effectiveness of mobile learning across various settings. In: CAL Conference 2011, Learning Futures: Education, Technology & Sustainability, 13-15 Apr 2011, Manchester.
- Adams, Anne; Davies, Sarah; Collins, Trevor and Rogers, Yvonne. (). Out there and in here: design for blended scientific inquiry learning. In: 17th Association for Learning Technology Conference ALT-C 2010 -, 07-09 Sep 2010, Nottingham, UK.
- Coughlan, Tim; Adams, Anne and Rogers, Yvonne. (). Designing for balance: 'Out There and in Here'. In: 24th BCS Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI2010): Play is a Serious Business, 6-10 Sep 2010, Dundee, Scotland.
- Cunningham, Sally Jo; Masood, Masoodian and Adams, Anne. (). Privacy Issues for Online Personal Photograph collections. Journal of theoretical and applied electronic commerce research, 5 (2) pp. 26-40.
- Blake, Canan; Adams, Anne and Scanlon, Eileen. (). Using PDAs in healthcare settings. In: Proceedings of mLearn 2010, World Conference on Mobile and contextual Learning, Valetta, Malta. University of Malta,, 19-22 Oct 2010, Valetta, Malta.
- Sweeney, Breen and Adams, Anne. (). Virual world users evaluated according to environment design, task based adn affective attention measures. In: Proceedings of the 2009 British Computer Society Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, 1-5 Sep 2009, Cambridge, UK.
- Ngimwa, Pauline; Adams, Anne and Underwood, Josh. (). Collaborative ownership in cross-cultural educational digital library design. In: 13th European Conference on Digital Libraries, ECDL 2009, 27 Sep - 2 Oct 2009, Corfu, Greece.
- Adams, Anne. (). Tensions in designing and developing pedagogy in e-learning systems. In: 6th International Conference on Education and Information Systems, Technologies and Applications. EISTA '08, 29 Jun - 2 Jul 2008, Orlando, FL.
- Adams, Anne (). Understanding practitioner's emotive responses to technology in practice based learning. In: Austerlitz, Noam eds. Unspoken Interactions: Exploring the Unspoken Dimension of Learning and Teaching in Creative Subjects London: Centre for Learning and Teaching in Design (CLTAD), University of the Arts.
- Adams, Anne and Cox, Anna L. (). Questionnaires, in-depth interviews and focus groups. In: Cairns, Paul and Cox, Anna L. eds. Research Methods for Human Computer Interaction Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, pp. 17-34.
- Adams, Anne; Lunt, Peter and Cairns, Paul (). A qualititative approach to HCI research. In: Cairns, Paul and Cox, Anna eds. Research Methods for Human-Computer Interaction Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, pp. 138-157.
- Adams, Anne and Pike, Anne. (). Security issues within prison and health open and distance learning programmes. In: The Fifth Pan-Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning, 13-17 Jul 2008, London.
- Adams, Anne and Pike, Anne. (). Evaluating empowerment and control of HE e-learning in a secure environment. In: British Educational Research Association (BERA) Conference, 2008, Edinburgh, U.K..
- Blanford, Ann; Adams, Anne; Attfield, Simon; Buchanan, George; Gow, Jeremy; Makri, Stephann; Rimmer, Jon and Warwick, Claire. (). The PRET A Rapporter framework: Evaluating digital libraries from the perspective of information work. Information Processing & Management, 44 (1) pp. 4-21.
- Adams, A.; Bennett, J. and Beechener, K.. (). The impact of communication technologies on teaching and learning identities. In: International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Annual Conference (ISSOTL '07), 2-5 Jul 2007, Sydney, Australia.
- Adams, A. and Hill, L.. (). Where do we go from here: The value of practitioner inquiry for institutional change. In: International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Annual Conference (ISSOTL '07), 2-5 Jul 2007, Sydney, Australia.
- Adams, Anne. (). How technology can enable or inhibit work-based learning in a clinical setting. In: 15th World Conference on Cooperative Education (WACE '07), 26-29 Jun 2007, Singapore.
- Adams, Anne. (). Mobile digital libraries in a clinical domain. In: The First International M-libraries Conference, 13-14 Nov 2007, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Adams, Anne and Hills, Laura. (). Practitioner inquiry and academic work-based learning. In: 15th World Co-operative Education Conference (WACE '07), 26-29 Jun 2007, Singapore.
- Adams, Anne; Scott, Peter; Pettit, John and Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes. (). Technology that enhances without inhibiting learning. In: CTSS Conference, 1-2 May 2007, The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Hinze, Annika; Buchanan, George; Jung, Doris and Adams, Anne. (). HDLalert – a healthcare DL alerting system: from user needs to implementation. Health Informatics Journal, 12 (2) pp. 121-135.
- Adams, Anne; Blandford, Ann and Attfield, Simon. (). Implementing digital resources for clinicians' and patients' varying needs. Informatics for Health and Social Care, 30 (2) pp. 107-122.
- Attfield, Simon J.; Adams, Anne and Blandford, Ann. (). Patient information needs: Pre and Post consultation. Health Informatics Journal, 12 (2) pp. 165-177.
- Adams, Anne. (). The impact of authentication on health digital resources. In: HDL 2005: Healthcare Digital Libraries Workshop held in conjunction with ECDL 2005, 22 Sep 2005, Vienna, Austria.
- Adams, Anne. (). Grounded theory: A biased or holistic approach. In: JCDL '05 Workshop on Studying Digital Library Users In the Wild: Theories, Methods, and Analytical Approaches, 10-11 Jun 2005, Denver, CO, USA.
- Adams, Anne and Blandford, Ann. (). Bridging the gap between organisational and user perspectives of security in the clinical domain. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 63 (1 - 2) pp. 175-202.
- Adams, Anne and Blandford, Ann. (). Digital libraries' support for the user's information journey. In: JCDL 2005, 7-11 Jun 2005, Denver, CO, USA.
- Adams, Anne; Blandford, Ann; Budd, Dawn and Bailey, Neil. (). Organizational communication and awareness: a novel solution for health informatics. Health Informatics Journal, 11 (3) pp. 163-178.
- Adams, Anne; Blandford, Ann and Lunt, Peter. (). Social empowerment and exclusion: a case study on digital libraries. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI), 12 (2) pp. 174-200.
- Adams, Anne and Sasse, Angela (). The User is not the enemy. In: Cranor, Lorrie Faith and Garfinkel, Simson eds. Security and Usability: Designing secure systems that people can use USA: O’Reilly, pp. 610-630.
- Murphy, Jeannette and Adams, Anne. (). Exploring the benefits of user education: a review of three case studies. Health Information and Libraries Journal, 22 (s1) pp. 45-58.
- Attfield, Simon and Adams, Anne. (). Patient information needs: Before and after doctor consultations. In: HDL 2005: Healthcare Digital Libraries Workshop held in conjunction with ECDL 2005, 22 Sep 2005, Vienna, Austria.
- Nilsson, Maria; Adams, Anne and Herd, Simon. (). Building security and trust in online banking. In: CHI 2005, 2-7 Apr 2005, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- Broome, C. and Adams, A.. (). What gets missed when deploying new technologies in A&E?. Informatics for Health and Social Care, 30 (2) pp. 83-87.
- Broome, Catherine and Adams, Anne. (). Out with the old in with the new: What gets missed when deploying new technologies in A&E. In: HC2005: 22nd annual conference of Health Informatics, 21-23 Mar 2005, Harrogate, UK.
- Buchanan, George; Adams, Anne; Jung, Doris and Hinze, Annika. (). Health Service DL alerting: Users requirements and design. In: HDL 2005: Healthcare Digital Libraries Workshop held in conjunction with ECDL 2005, 22 Sep 2005, Vienna, Austria.
- Adams, Anne; Attfield, Simon and Blandford, Ann. (). Have digital resources taken a wrong turn on the health information journey. In: Health Digital Libraries Workshop (HDL04) at ECDL '04, 16 Sep 2004, University of Bath, Bath, UK.
- Adams, Anne and Kostokova, Patty. (). Healthcare digital libraries workshop - HDL 2004. D-Lib Magazine.
- Adams, Anne. (). An outreach librarian projects impact upon successful digital library uptake. In: HDL 2003: Healthcare Digital Libraries Workshop 2003 held in conjunction with ECDL 2003, 21 Aug 2003, Trondheim, Norway.
- Adams, Anne and Blandford, Ann (). Security and Online learning: to protect or prohibit. In: Ghaoui, Claude eds. Usability Evaluation of Online Learning Programs UK: IDEA Publishing, pp. 331-359.
- Adams, Anne and Blandford, Ann. (). Acceptability of medical digital libraries. Health Informatics Journal, 8 (2) pp. 58-66.
- Adams, Anne and Blandford, Ann. (). The unseen and unacceptable face of digital libraries. International Journal of Digital Libraries, 4 (2) pp. 71-81.
- Adams, Anne and Blandford, Ann (). Digital libraries in academia: Challenges and changes. In: Goos, G.; Hartmanis, J. and van Leeuwen, J. eds. Digital Libraries: People, Knowledge, and Technology Berlin: Springer, pp. 392-403.
- Adams, Anne and Blandford, Ann. (). Managing or reciprocating with digital library information in a clinical setting. In: IHM-HCI'01, 10-14 Sep 2001, Lille, France.
- Adams, Anne and Blandford, Ann (). Digital libraries in a clinical setting: Friend of foe?. In: Constantopoulos, Panos and Sølvberg, Ingeborg T. eds. Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries Berlin: Springer, pp. 213-224.
- Adams, Anne and Sasse, Martina Angela. (). Privacy in multimedia communications: protecting users not just data. In: IHM-HCI'01, 10-14 Sep 2001, Lille, France.
|MAZI (MAZI:Developing a DIY networking toolkit for location-based collective awareness )||2016 - 2018|
|MIAG (Migration for Inclusive African Growth)||2017 - 2018|
|OWL (Open World Learning)||2015 - 2020|
|PKF (Police Knowledge Fund)||2015 - 2017|