Prof Bart Rienties
Professor in Learning Analytics
Dr. Bart Rienties is Professor of Learning Analytics and Associate Dean of Academic Professional Development at the Institute of Educational Technology at the Open University UK. As Associate Dean he leads a group of academics who provide university-wide professional development and innovation courses and conduct evidence-based research of how professionals learn. As educational psychologist, he conducts multi-disciplinary research on work-based and collaborative learning environments and focuses on the role of social interaction in learning, which is published in leading academic journals and books. His primary research interests are focussed on Learning Analytics, Professional Development, and the role of motivation in learning. Furthermore, Bart is interested in broader internationalisation aspects of higher education. He has successfully led a range of institutional/national/European projects and received a range of awards for his educational innovation projects.
- Ullmann, Thomas; Lay, Stephanie; Coughlan, Tim; Lister, Katharine; Cross, Simon; Rienties, Bart and Whitelock, Denise. (). Understanding SEaM student comments from a Big(ger)Data perspective: what are students saying?. In: CALRG Annual Conference 2018, 18-19 Jun 2018, The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Jindal-Snape, Divya and Rienties, Bart (). Multi-dimensional transitions of international students to higher education. London: Routledge.
- Ferguson, Rebecca; Brasher, Andrew; Clow, Doug; Cooper, Adam; Hillaire, Garron; Mittelmeier, Jenna; Rienties, Bart; Ullmann, Thomas and Vuorikari, Riina (). Research Evidence on the Use of Learning Analytics: Implications for Education Policy. Joint Research Centre, Seville, Spain.
- Birch, David M. and Rienties, Bart. (). Effectiveness of UK and international A-level assessment in predicting performance in engineering. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 51 (6) pp. 642-652.
- Bohle Carbonell, Katerina; Rienties, Bart and Van den Bossche, Piet (). The influence of an individual’s transactive memory profile when advice is sought. In: Van den Bossche, Piet; Gijselaers, Wim H. and Milter, Richard G. eds. Building Learning Experiences in a Changing World Dordrecht: Springer, pp. 267-283.
|OWL (Open World Learning)||2015 - 2020|
England Seeks to Measure Learning
Inside Higher Ed | 9th September 2016
International students: universities must lead fight against intolerance of migrants
The Conversation | 11th December 2018
Interview with Bart Rienties
Times Higher Education | 29th March 2018
OU algorithm for monitoring online student engagement
Financial Times | 24th July 2015
Student satisfaction ‘unrelated’ to academic performance
Times Higher Education | 12th February 2018
Teaching intelligence: how to use learning analytics
Times Higher Education | 15th November 2018
Universities are tracking their students. Is it clever or creepy?
The Guardian | 3rd August 2016
Weighing up the benefits of learning
Times Higher Education | 1st February 2018
1st October 2019
European Statistics in Support of Researchers (#ESiSoR) Luxembourg
12th March 2019
National Learning Gains event
7th March 2019
8th Research & Innovation week UNISA Johannesburg, South Africa
10th January 2019
9th November 2018
BERA EDTECH 2018 Open University UK
25th October 2018
LTI series Open University UK
5th September 2018
25th HUCMBS conference University of Essex
2nd July 2018
22nd November 2017
iCARE conference Leuven, Belgium
20th September 2017
30th August 2017
EARLI 2017 Tampere, Finland
27th August 2017
EARLI 2017 Tampere, Finland
17th July 2017
Preston, University of Lancaster
22nd March 2017
OEEE Q&A with Learning Analytics Invited session at Open Education Europa
13th October 2016
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam Learning analytics conference Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1st January 2016
CELDA 2016 Mannheim, Germany
Best Full Paper HCI 2017Best paper award for Nguyen, Q., Rienties, B., & Toetenel, L. (2017). Mixing and Matching Learning Design and Learning Analytics. Paper presented at the HCI Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: Springer, pp. 302-316.
Best full paper ICSE 2015Best paper award for Tempelaar, D. T., Rienties, B., Giesbers, B. (2015). Stability and sensitivity of Learning Analytics based prediction models. Proceedings of 7th International conference on Computer Supported Education, Lisbon, Portugal, pp. 156-166.
Best Full Paper LAK 2018Best paper award for Nguyen, Q., Huptych, M., Rienties, B. (2018). Linking students’ timing of engagement to learning design and academic performance: A longitudinal study. Paper presented at the 8th International Conference on Learning Analytics & Knowledge (LAK’18), Sydney, Australia, pp. 141-150
Open Education Excellence for Leverhulme Open World Learning PhD programmeAward for Open Education Excellence for Leverhulme Open World Learning PhD programme, Open Education Consortium
Paul Webley Award for Innovation in International Education for UKCISA project STRIDESocial Support through Transitions: A Student-Led and Cross-Institutional Investigation of International Postgraduate Student Experiences
- Principal Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy