I am the module team chair for H817, Openness and innovation in elearning, a 60 credit masters module in our Online and Distance Education programme. I help run this programme through staff tutor and assessment responsibilities. My contribution to teaching also includes data wrangling, through which I support the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) by providing analyses and reflection that enables them to better pursue the enhancement of their curriculum and the student experience.
My data wrangling interests overlap those for research through a project I am working on with Mark Gaved, to better structure and manipulate pathway data (Edwards, 2017; Rienties et al, 2018; Clow et al, 2019). My other research activity is directed towards the TeSLA project, which explores the use of e-authentication tools within online student assessment (Edwards et al, 2018(a)and(b); Edwards et al, 2019; Okada et al, 2019). Also, The MOVEME project, also called 'MOOC Italiano Inglese in Tandem', in the project section (Perez-Cavana and Edwards, 2017).
Chris is a lecturer in IET/LTIA/WELS and chairs the masters module ‘Openness and innovation in elearning’. He is one of the authors of ‘The critical researcher: educational technology in practice’ both are modules in the Masters in Online and Distance Education programme (MAODE), which now includes the University's first module delivered through FutureLearn. He has also written and taught on a FutureLearn MOOC, is one of the University’s Data Wranglers, serving FBL and now FASS, and has held institutional responsibilities for the Stage-gate process and for scrutiny and use of learning outcomes.
- Okada, Alexandra; Whitelock, Denise; Holmes, Wayne and Edwards, Chris. (). e-Authentication for online assessment: A mixed-method study. British Journal of Educational Technology, 50 (2) pp. 861-875.
- Scanlon, Eileen; Herodotou, Christothea; Whitelock, Denise and Edwards, Chris (). STEM Learning: Foundations. In: Ferguson, Rebecca; Jones, Ann and Scanlon, Eileen eds. Educational Visions: Lessons from 40 years of innovation London: Ubiquity Press, pp. 127-138.
- Edwards, Chris; Whitelock, Denise; Brouns, Francis; Rodríguez, M. Elena; Okada, Alexandra; Baneres, David and Holmes, Wayne. (). An embedded approach to plagiarism detection using the TeSLA e-authentication system. In: TEA 2018 Technology Enhanced Assessment Conference, 10-11 Dec 2018, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Clow, Doug; Coughlan, Tim; Cross, Simon; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Herodotou, Christothea; Nguyen, Quan; Rienties, Bart; Thorne, Sam and Ullmann, Thomas (). Scholarly insight Winter 2019: a Data wrangler perspective. Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Edwards, Chris; Whitelock, Denise and Okada, Alexandra. (). Did you really do this? E-authentication raising confidence in e-assessment. In: 9th Pan-Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning - Innovations for Quality Education and Lifelong Learning (PCF9), 9-12 Sep 2019, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Edwards, Chris and Gaved, Mark. (). Analysing student study choices to qualification: which study routes are best?. In: ALT Annual Conference 2019, 3-5 Sep 2019, Edinburgh.
- Edwards, C.; Whitelock, D.; Okada, A. and Holmes, W.. (). Trust in online authentication tools for online assessment in both formal and informal contexts. In: ICERI2018 Proceedings, 12-14 Nov 2018, Seville, Spain.
- Edwards, Chris; Holmes, Wayne; Whitelock, Denise and Okada, Ale. (). Student Trust in e-Authentication. In: L@S 2018: Fifth (2018) ACM Conference on Learning @ Scale, 26-28 Jun 2018, London, UK.
- Okada, Alexandra; Whitelock, Denise; Holmes, Wayne and Edwards, Chris. (). Student acceptance of online assessment with e-authentication in the UK. In: 20th International Conference Technology Enhanced Assessment (TEA 2017): Revised Selected Papers, 109-122.
- Ullmann, Thomas; Lay, Stephanie; Cross, Simon; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Jones, Edwina; Hidalgo, Rafael; Evans, Gerald; Lowe, Sue; Calder, Kathleen; Clow, Doug; Coughlan, Tim; Herodotou, Christothea; Mangafa, Chrysoula and Rienties, Bart (). Scholarly insight Spring 2018: a Data wrangler perspective. Open University UK, Milton Keynes.
- Pérez Cavana, Maria Luisa and Edwards, Chris (). Fostering student-centred pedagogy through the language learning support dimensions (LLSD). In: Krings, Hans P and Kühn, Bärbel eds. Inhalt und Vielfalt - Neue Herausforderungen für das Sprachenlernen und -lehren an Hochschulen. Bochum, Gernabt: AKS Verlag, pp. 149-161.
- Edwards, Chris. (). Understanding student experience in the age of personalised study. In: ALT Online Winter Conference 2017, 12-13 Dec 2017.
- Rienties, Bart; Rogaten, Jekaterina; Nguyen, Quan; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Holt, Deborah; Herodotou, Christothea; Clow, Doug; Cross, Simon; Coughlan, Tim; Jones, Jan and Ullmann, Thomas (). Scholarly insight Spring 2017: A Data Wrangler Perspective. Open University UK.
- Rienties, Bart; Clow, Doug; Coughlan, Tim; Cross, Simon; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Herodotou, Christothea; Hlosta, Martin; Jones, Jan; Rogaten, Jekaterina and Ullmann, Thomas (). Scholarly insight Autumn 2017:a Data wrangler perspective. Open University UK.
- Herodotou, Christothea and Edwards, Chris (). Factors explaining students’ satisfaction and performance in Business and Law modules. The Open University.
- Rienties, Bart; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Marsh, Vicky; Herodotou, Christothea; Clow, Doug; Cross, Simon; Coughlan, Tim; Jones, Jan and Ullmann, Thomas (). Scholarly insight 2016: a Data wrangler perspective. Open University UK.
- Edwards, Chris (). Learning Outcomes at the Open University. IET, The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Pérez Cavana, Maria and Edwards, Chris (). Developing the Language Learning Support Dimensions (LLSD) from research into second language acquisition and informed by the Effective Lifelong Learning Inventory (ELLI). In: Krings, Hans P. and Kühn, B. eds. Fremdsprachliche Lernprozesse beobachten: - initiieren - steuern - begleiten Bochum ( Germany): AKS-Verlag Bochum.
- Edwards, Chris and Perez Cavana, Maria Luisa. (). Developing approaches to enhancing the orientation and success of language learning in higher education. In: 17th Annual Conference of the Education, Learning, Styles, Individuals Differences Network, 26-28 Jun 2012, Cardiff, Wales.
- Edwards, Chris. (). Embedding reflective thinking on approaches to learning - moving from pilot study to developing institutional good practice. In: The 16th Annual Conference of Education, Learning, Styles, Individual differences Network, 29 Jun - 1 Jul 2011, University of Antwerp.
- Edwards, Chris. (). Can reflections on approaches to learning improve induction, performance and retention?. In: Exploring Styles to Enhance Learning and Teaching in Diverse Contexts: Proceedings of the 15th Annual Conference of the European Learning Styles Information Network, 28-30 Jun 2010, Aveiro, Portugal.
- Edwards, Chris. (). Linking learning - towards bringing learning in formal, informal, education and work settings together. In: HEA Annual Conference 2009, 30 Jun - 2 Jul 2009, Manchester, UK.
- Edwards, Chris and Hush, Michael. (). Supporting self-reflection in students learning at a distance. In: Learning in Higher Education - How Style Matters: Proceedings of the 14th Annual Conference of the European Learning Styles Information Network, 17-19 Jun 2009, Bulle-en-Gruyere, Switzerland.
- Edwards, Christopher. (). Evaluating European public awareness of science initiatives: A review of the literature. Science Communication, 25 (3) pp. 260-271.
- Whitelegg, Elizabeth and Edwards, Chris (). Beyond the laboratory: learning physics in real-life contexts. In: Behrendt, Helga; Dahncke, Helmut; Duit, Reinders; Graber, Wolfgang; Komorek, Michael; Kross, Angela and Reiska, Priit eds. Research in science education: past, present and future Dordrect, Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 337-342.
|TeSLA (An Adaptive Trust-based e-assessment system for learning)||2016 - 2018|
|MOOc Italiano Inglese in Tandem||2015 - 2017|
6th November 2019
Transforming Assessment Webinar Transforming Assessment, an Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (ASCILITE) special interest group
20th September 2018
7th National Conference on HE Borovits, Bulgaria