Dr Dorothy Faulkner DPhil (Oxon),CPsychol, AFBPsS
Dr Dorothy Faulkner is an academic psychologist with expertise in the psychology of education, social cognition and learning. Following completion of her doctorate at the Oxford UniversityDepartment for Experimental Psychology, Dr Faulkner joined the Open University in 1982 as a postdoctoral Research Fellow intheHuman Cognition Research Unit (Psychology Department, Faculty of Social Sciences)before being appointed as a lecturer in the Centre for Human Development and Learning in 1987 in the School of Education (now the Faculty of Wellbeing, Education and Language Studies). She then took up a lectureship at the Institute of Education, University of Warwick (1989 and 1992), before securing a lectureship (and later a senior lectureship) back at the Open University (Faculty of Education and Language Studies). In 2010, she was seconded to the role of Academic Coordinator (Research Career Development) in the Research Scholarship and Quality office with responsibility for the University's Research Career Development programme. In 2012 - 2014, Dr Faulkner was appointed to the role of Associate Director, Academic Professional Development (APD) in the Institute of Educational Technology. This portfolio included the IET programmes that support professional development for staff and postgraduate students - the Masters in Online and Distance Education, OpenPAD (the OU’s institutional, HEA accredited scheme for the professional development of those who teach and support learning), the Research Career Development programme for doctoral research students, Research Supervisor Training, the Research Professional Development programme for academic and research staff and the Scholarship programme. Dr Faulkner retired in 2014 and is currently an Honorary Associate in IET.
Previous academic leadership roles include Associate Dean Research in the Faculty of Education and Language Studies, Qualifications Director for the BA (Hons) Psychology and Academic Coordinator and Head of Research Career Development. As Head of Research Career Development, Dr Faulkner coordinated a successful submission for the European Commission, HR Excellence In Research Award in 2012/13 and again in 2014/15. In 2013 She was Academic Lead for a strategic project to design a new Academic Professional Development Framework and associated website for the University. This Framework, developed in consultation with academic staff and academic facing support units, describes key domains of academic practice. The associated website has been designed to bring coherence, consistency and easy access to the activies and resources the University provides to support staff with their professional development and career progression.
- Cremin, Teresa; Flewitt, Rosie; Swann, Joan; Faulkner, Dorothy and Kucirkova, Natalia. (). Storytelling and story-acting: co-construction in action. Journal of Early Childhood Research, 16 (1) pp. 3-17.
- Ferguson, Rebecca; Faulkner, Dorothy; Whitelock, Denise and Sheehy, Kieron. (). Pre-teens' informal learning with ICT and Web 2.0. Technology, Pedagogy and Education, 24 (2) pp. 247-265.
- Murphy, Suzanne and Faulkner, Dorothy. (). A randomised controlled trial of a computerised intervention for children with social communication difficulties to support peer collaboration. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 35 (11) pp. 2821-2839.
- Faulkner, Dorothy and Coates, Elizabeth A.. (). Early childhood policy and practice in England: twenty years of change. International Journal of Early Years Education, 21 (2/3) pp. 244-263.
- Faulkner, Dorothy and Coates, Elizabeth A.. (). International perspectives on progress, change and development in early childhood education and care, 1993 to 2013. International Journal of Early Years Education, 21 (2/3) pp. 121-124.
- Murphy, Suzanne M.; Faulkner, Dorothy and Farley, Laura R.. (). The behaviour of young children with social communication disorders during dyadic interaction with peers. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology (Online First).
- Cremin, Teresa; Swann, Joan; Flewitt, Rosie; Faulkner, Dorothy and Kucirkova, Natalia (). Evaluation Report of MakeBelieve Arts Helicopter Technique of Storytelling and Storyacting. MakeBelieveArts/The Open University.
- Faulkner, Dorothy and Coates, Elizabeth (). Exploring Children's Creative Narratives. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Faulkner, Dorothy (). Angels, tooth fairies and ghosts: thinking creatively in an early years classroom. In: Faulkner, Dorothy and Coates, Elizabeth eds. Exploring Children's Creative Narratives Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 39-62.
- Faulkner, Dorothy and Coates, Elizabeth (). Exploring children's creative narratives: some theoretical, methodological and applied perscpectives. In: Faulkner, Dorothy and Coates, Elizabeth eds. Exploring Children's Creative Narratives Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 1-10.
- Murphy, Suzanne and Faulkner, Dorothy. (). The relationship between bullying roles and children’s everyday dyadic interactions. Social Development, 20 (2) pp. 272-293.
- Farrington-Flint, Lee; Canobi, Katherine H.; Wood, Clare and Faulkner, Dorothy. (). Children's patterns of reasoning about reading and addition concepts. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 28 (2) pp. 427-448.
- Bragg, Sara; Manchester, Helen and Faulkner, Dorothy (). Youth Voice in the work of Creative Partnerships. Creativity, Culture and Education, London.
- Whitelock, Denise M.; Faulkner, Dorothy and Miell, Dorothy E.. (). Promoting creativity in PhD supervision: Tensions and dilemmas. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 3 (2) pp. 143-153.
- Faulkner, Dorothy (). Research by children for children: How the Children's Research Centre at the Open University supports children to become active researchers. In: Kourti, Evangelia and Jacquinot-Delaunay, Genevieve eds. Des jeunes et des medias en Europe: Nouvelles tendances de la recherche Paris: L'Harmattan.
- Woodhead, Martin and Faulkner, Dorothy (). Subjects, objects or participants? Dilemmas of psychological research with children. In: Christiansen, Pia and James, Allison eds. Research With Children: Perspectives and Practices London, UK: Falmer Press / Routledge, pp. 10-39.
- King, Bernardine; Wood, Clare and Faulkner, Dorothy. (). Sensitivity to visual and auditory stimuli in children with developmental dyslexia. Dyslexia, 14 (2) pp. 116-141.
- Farrington-Flint, Lee; Canobi, Katherine. H.; Wood, Clare and Faulkner, Dorothy. (). The role of relational reasoning in children's addition concepts. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 25 (2) pp. 227-246.
- King, Bernardine; Wood, Clare and Faulkner, Dorothy. (). Sensitivity to auditory and visual stimuli during early reading development. Journal of Research in Reading, 30 (4) pp. 443-453.
- Faulkner, Dorothy; Coates, Elizabeth; Craft, Anna and Duffy, Bernadette. (). Creativity and cultural innovation in early childhood education. International Journal of Early Years Education, 14 (3) pp. 191-199.
- Faulkner, Dorothy; Joubert, Mathilda and Kynan, Sally (). Project EXCITE!: Excellence, creativity and innovation in teaching and education Phase II: A longitudinal study of excellence, creativity and innovation in teaching and learning in primary education. UK.
- Murphy, Suzanne M. and Faulkner, Dorothy. (). Gender differences in verbal communication between popular and unpopular children during an interactive task. Social Development, 15 (1) pp. 82-108.
- Faulkner, Dorothy and Miell, Dorothy (). Collaborative story telling in friendship and acquaintanceship dyads. In: Littleton, Karen; Miell, Dorothy and Faulkner, Dorothy eds. Learning to collaborate: collaborating to learn New York, USA: Nova Science Publishers.
- Farrington-Flint, Lee; Wood, Clare; Canobi, Katherine H. and Faulkner, Dorothy. (). Patterns of analogical reasoning among beginning readers. Journal of Research in Reading, 27 (3) pp. 226-247.
- Littleton, Karen; Miell, Dorothy and Faulkner, Dorothy (). Learning to collaborate, collaborating to learn: understanding and promoting educationally productive collaborative work. Nova Science Publishers Inc.
- Miell, D.; Faulkner, D.; Henry, J.; Kynan, S.; Littleton, K. and Searle, R. (). Excite Project: Final Evaluation Report from The Open University Research Team. DfES and Esmee Fairbairn Charitable Trust.
- Joiner, Richard; Littleton, Karen; Faulkner, Dorothy and Miell, Dorothy (). Rethinking Collaborative Learning. London, UK: Free Association Press.
- Faulkner, Dorothy; Joiner, Richard; Littleton, Karen; Miell, Dorothy and Thompson, Linda. (). The mediating effect of task presentation on collaboration and children's acquisition of scientific reasoning. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 15 (4) pp. 417-430.
- Murphy, Suzanne and Faulkner, Dorothy. (). Learning to collaborate: Can young children develop better communication strategies through collaboration with a more popular peer. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 15 (4) pp. 389-404.