Dr Duygu Bektik (née Simsek)
Lecturer (Academic Professional Development)
My research interests currently lie primarily in the fields of learning analytics, particularly discourse-centric learning analytics, e-assessment, AI in education, the effectiveness of visualisations and visual analytics dashboards, successful integration of ICT into the teaching and learning process, and achieving gender equity in academia and empowering women in academia/STEM. I also co-run the openAIED which is a special interest group bringing together researchers across the Open University who are interested in the application of Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED).
Over the last 10 years, Dr Duygu Bektik has been studying and working in the fields of computer science, education and instructional technologies, to explore and understand how students learn, what makes them better learners, how to measure the learning gain, what improves the environments in which learning takes place, and how the use of technology can enhance learning activities.
She holds a Ph.D. in Learning Analytics from The Open University, UK in which she focused on the use of writing analytics, particularly automated analysis of meta-discourse in student writing, to support tutors’ essay assessment practices. Besides her Ph.D., she holds B.A.&M.A. degrees in Computer and Instructional Technologies, and MSc. in Software Engineering. She also holds a teaching certificate to practice teaching ICT in primary and secondary schools, with various teaching experiences both in Turkey and in the UK.
Dr Bektik is a mixed-methods researcher with an experience of holding one-to-one interviews, focus groups, designing questionnaires, and carrying out statistical analysis including regression and Jaccard. She joined the Open University's IET as a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on the TeSLA (Adaptive Trust e-Assessment System for Learning) project, involving 18 European partners, funded by the European Commission, H2020. The overall objective of the TeSLA project is to define and develop an e-assessment system, which ensures learners authentication and authorship in online and blended learning environments while avoiding the time and physical space limitations imposed by face-to-face examination. At the time, additionally, she worked for the HEFCE funded, ABC Learning Gains project, which is a longitudinal mixed method study, assessing the suitability and scalability of the Affective-Behaviour-Cognition (ABC) Learning Gains model across the higher education sector in England. She also worked on Single Component Assessment project, funded internally by the OU. It was a quality enhancement project, investigating the impact of determining a student’s module assessment score through a straight average of all the assessment tasks, rather than requiring students to achieve separate thresholds for the continuous assessment, examination or end of module assessment.
Following this, she worked in the IET’s OpenTEL research team as a Postdoctoral Research Associate, a role she has carried out from September 2017 till April 2018. She was responsible for the publicity, dissemination, impact, and engagement of the OpenTEL team activities as well as supporting the events, seminars, and bidding (grant writing) workshops. Additionally, at the time, she worked for the EVALUATE project, funded by Erasmus+ Key Action 3, that examines the effectiveness of educational intervention and aims to develop digital and language skills, and competencies of future teachers in EU countries. She also worked for the PKE (Police Knowledge Exchange) project, commissioned by the NPCC via the College of Policing, that aims to conduct a short project to identify enablers and barriers to police sharing both within their force and across forces.
Since April 2018, she is a Lecturer in APD and leading the coordination of Research Career Development programme.
- Bektik, Duygu (). Issues and challenges for implementing writing analytics at higher education. In: Ifenthaler, Dirk; Mah, Dana-Kristin and Yau, Jane Yin-Kim eds. Utilizing Learning Analytics to Support Study Success Springer International Publishing (In Press).
- Holmes, Wayne; Bektik, Duygu; Whitelock, Denise and Woolf, Beverly. (). Ethics in AIED: Who cares?. In: 19th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED'18), 27-30 Jun 2018, London.
- Bektik, Duygu. (). XIPIt: Updating the XIP Dashboard to Support Educators in Essay Marking at Higher Education. In: L@S 2018: Fifth (2018) ACM Conference on Learning @ Scale, 26-28 Jun 2018, London, UK.
- Whitelock, Denise and Bektik, Duygu (). Progress and Challenges for Automated Scoring and Feedback Systems for Large-Scale Assessments. In: Voogt, J.; Knezek, G.; Christensen, R. and Lai, K. W. eds. Second Handbook of Information Technology in Primary and Secondary Education Springer International Handbooks of Education.
- Bektik, Duygu; Cross, Simon; Holmes, Wayne; Aleksieva, Lyubka and Whitelock, Denise. (). A European pilot study of a modular assessment system designed to authenticate the authorship of online learners. In: CALRG Annual Conference 2017, 14-16 Jun 2017, The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Bektik, Duygu (). Learning Analytics for Academic Writing through Automatic Identification of Meta-discourse. PhD thesis The Open University.
- Cross, Simon; Rogaten, Jekaterina; Bektik, Duygu; Whitelock, Denise and Rienties, Bart. (). How do students understand and interpret learning gains? Perspectives from in-depth interviews of UK distance learners. In: SRHE Conference, 6-8 Dec 2017, Newport, Wales, UK.
- Buckingham Shum, Simon; Knight, Simon; McNamara, Danielle; Allen, Laura; Bektik, Duygu and Crossley, Scott. (). Critical perspectives on writing analytics. In: LAK '16 Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Learning Analytics & Knowledge, ACM, New York, 481-483.
- Simsek, Duygu; Sandor, Agnes; Buckingham Shum, Simon; Ferguson, Rebecca; De Liddo, Anna and Whitelock, Denise. (). Correlations between automated rhetorical analysis and tutors’ grades on student essays. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Learning Analytics And Knowledge, ACM, 355-359.
- Simsek, Duygu. (). Learning Analytics for Scaffolding Academic Writing through Automatic Identification of Meta-discourse. In: 4th Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference Doctoral Consortium, 24-28 Mar 2014, Indianapolis, USA.
- Simsek, Duygu; Buckingham Shum, Simon; De Liddo, Anna; Ferguson, Rebecca and Sándor, Ágnes. (). Visual analytics of academic writing. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Learning Analytics And Knowledge - LAK '14, 265-266.
- Simsek, Duygu; Buckingham Shum, Simon; Sandor, Agnes; De Liddo, Anna and Ferguson, Rebecca. (). XIP Dashboard: visual analytics from automated rhetorical parsing of scientific metadiscourse. In: 1st International Workshop on Discourse-Centric Learning Analytics, 8 Apr 2013, Leuven, Belgium.
- Taibi, Davide; Sandor, Agnes; Simsek, Duygu; Buckingham Shum, Simon; De Liddo, Anna and Ferguson, Rebecca. (). Visualizing the LAK/EDM literature using combined concept and rhetorical sentence extraction. In: Proceedings of the LAK Data Challenge, 3rd Int. Conf. on Learning Analytics and Knowledge (LAK '13), 8-12 Apr 2013, Leuven, Belgium.
- Altın, Rükiye; Bektik, Mustafa; Ekşioğlu, Nuray; Koray, Can; Canbek Öner, Ömer; Sadetaş, Merve; Şener, Hilal; Şimşek, Duygu; Ma, Ching-Chen; Price, Christine and Routh, Christopher R.. (). Use of Intuitive Tools to Enhance Student Learning and User Experience. In: ITiCSE '09 Proceedings of the 14th annual ACM SIGCSE conference on Innovation and technology in computer science education, 06-09 Jul 2009, Paris, France.
- Altın, Rükiye; Bektik, Mustafa; Ekşioğlu, Nuray; Koray, Can; Öner, Ömer Canbek; Sadetaş, Merve; Şener, Hilal; Şimşek, Duygu; Ma, Ching-Chen; Price, Christine and Routh, Christopher. (). Working Across Time Zones in Cross-Cultural Student Teams. In: ITiCSE '09 Proceedings of the 14th annual ACM SIGCSE conference on Innovation and technology in computer science education, 06-09 Jul 2009, Paris, France.
1st April 2017
MAG'17 conference Cyprus
25th April 2016
LAK'16 conference Edinburgh, UK
9th March 2015
LAK'15 conference Poughkeepsie, USA
10th March 2014
LAK'14 conference Indianapolis, USA
20th July 2013
Learning Analytics Summer Institute (LASI) Edinburgh, UK
As part of The Open University’s Open Science Laboratory project, received full PhD fundingby the Wolfson Foundation
Best demonstration awardat the Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference in 2014
Exceptional achievement awardat Bilkent University in 2011
Listed as high honour student each semesterat Bilkent University (2006-2010)
Received 100% merit scholarship towards the undergraduate and masters studiesfrom Bilkent University
Areas of expertise
- Member of the British Educational Research Association