Dr Jenna Mittelmeier
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Postdoctoral Research Associate
I am currently a Postdoctoral Research Associate in both the Institute of Educational Technology and the Department of Geography. My research in the Institute of Educational Technology forms part of the OpenTEL research team and focuses on curriculum internationalisation and international student transition experiences. Furthermore, I am the lead researcher for a UKCISA-funded project unpacking international postgraduate students' social support networks. In the Department of Geography, I contribute to the ESRC-funded International Distance Education and African Students (IDEAS) project. The project considers the role of South African distance education in providing equitable in access to higher education for students across Africa. I contribute to the questionnaire development and analysis of students' academic and social transition trajectories in international distance education.
I completed my PhD at the Open University in the Institute of Educational Technology in 2017. My research project explored social tensions in intercultural group work and the role of internationalised academic content in driving successful group collaborations in diverse blended classrooms. My PhD was supervised by Prof Bart Rienties and Prof Denise Whitelock.
Research interests: internationalisation and globalisation of education, international student transition experiences, intercultural group work, social experiences in higher education, sociocultural influences on learning, curriculum internationalisation, social media, and computer-supported collaborative learning
Methods experiences: I am a mixed methods researcher with experience using learning analytics, social network analysis, qualitative interviews, longitudinal reflective diaries, randomised control trials, and questionnaires.
Jenna Mittelmeier is currently a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Open University in both the Institute of Educational Technology and the Department of Geography. Her research in the Institute of Educational Technology forms part of the OpenTEL research team and focuses on curriculum internationalisation and international students' transition experiences. Furthermore, she is the lead researcher for a UKCISA-funded project unpacking international postgraduate students' social support networks. In the Department of Geography, she contributes to the ESRC-funded International Distance Education and African Students (IDEAS) project. The project considers the role of South African distance education in providing equitable access to higher education for students across Africa.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Rienties, Bart; Tempelaar, Dirk and Whitelock, Denise. (). Overcoming cross-cultural group work tensions: mixed student perspectives on the role of social relationships. Higher Education, 75 (1) pp. 149-166.
- Wolfenden, Freda; Buckler, Alison; Santos, Cristina and Mittelmeier, Jenna (). Education Workforce Initiative: Initial Research. International Commission on Financing Education Opportunity (The Education Commission).
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Long, Dianne; Cin, Firdevs Melis; Reedy, Katharine; Gunter, Ashley; Raghuram, Parvati and Rienties, Bart. (). Learning design in diverse institutional and cultural contexts: suggestions from a participatory workshop with higher education professionals in Africa. Open Learning: The Journal of Open, Distance and e-learning (Early Access).
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Rienties, Bart; Tempelaar, Dirk; Hillaire, Garron and Whitelock, Denise. (). The influence of internationalised versus local content on online intercultural collaboration in groups: A randomised control trial study in a statistics course. Computers & Education, 118 pp. 82-95.
- Tempelaar, Dirk; Rienties, Bart; Mittelmeier, Jenna and Nguyen, Quan. (). Student profiling in a dispositional learning analytics application using formative assessment. Computers in Human Behavior, 78 pp. 408-420.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna (). Supporting Intercultural Collaborations In Blended And Online Settings: A Randomised Control Trial Of Internationalised Academic Content. PhD thesis The Open University.
- Ferguson, Rebecca; Brasher, Andrew; Clow, Doug; Cooper, Adam; Hillaire, Garron; Mittelmeier, Jenna; Rienties, Bart; Ullmann, Thomas and Vuorikari, Riina (). Research Evidence on the Use of Learning Analytics: Implications for Education Policy. Joint Research Centre, Seville, Spain.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna. (). Understanding Evidence-Based Interventions for Cross-Cultural Group Work: A Learning Analytics Perspective. In: LAK 16: The 6th International Learning Analytics & Knowledge Conference, 25 29 Apr 2016, Edinburgh, UK.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Héliot, YingFei; Rienties, Bart and Whitelock, Denise. (). Using Social Network Analysis to predict online contributions: The impact of network diversity in cross-cultural collaboration. In: WebSci '16 Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Web Science, ACM, New York, 269-273.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna and Kennedy, John James (). Adapting Together: Chinese Student Experience and Acceptance at an American University. In: Jindal-Snape, Divya and Rienties, Bart eds. Multi-dimensional Transitions of International Students to Higher Education Routledge, pp. 161-180.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Tempelaar, Dirk; Rienties, Bart and Nguyen, Quan. (). Learning analytics to understand cultural impacts on technology enhanced learning. In: 13th International Conference on Cognition and Exploratory Learning in Digital Age (CELDA 2016), 28-30 Oct 2016, Mannheim, Germany.
- Cross, Simon; Whitelock, Denise and Mittelmeier, Jenna. (). Does the Quality and Quantity of Exam Revision Impact on Student Satisfaction and Performance in the Exam Itself?: Perspectives from Undergraduate Distance Learners. In: EDULEARN16 Proceedings, IATED Academy, 5052-5061.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna (). Using Learning Analytics to Implement Evidence-Based Interventions to Support Ethnic Minority and International Student Social Integrations. 10th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, ECTEL doctoral consortium.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Heliot, Yingfei; Rienties, Bart and Whitelock, Denise. (). The role culture and personality play in an authentic online group learning experience. In: Proceedings of the 22nd EDINEB Conference: Critically Questioning Educational Innovation in Economics and Business: Human Interaction in a Virtualising World, EDiNEB Association, 139-149.
|Facilitating equitable access and quality education for development: South African International Distance Education||2016 - 2019|
|STRIDE (STRIDE: Social Transition Research into International Doctoral Experiences)||2017 - 2018|