John Pettit MA (Cambridge) in English Literature; MA (Open) in Online and Distance Education
I worked in IET between 2001 and 2016, dividing my time between teaching, scholarship and research. Throughout that period, I was closely involved in the MAODE - first as chair of H804 and then of H800, and also as Programme Director in my final three years before retiring. I also worked across the University, for example with module teams in the Arts Faculty to introduce live online tutorials into their teaching.
Now as an Honorary Associate, I continue my interest in the MAODE and in live online tutorials - and particularly in ways of encouraging and enabling students to take an active role in their own learning.
In addition to his teaching, scholarship and research, John worked closely with other faculties, providing leadership as they innovated in their own teaching. Until 2014 he was the Arts 'Data Wrangler' - writing reports and recommendations based on analysis of their VLE Usage Data and End of Module Survey Data.
His teaching roles included:
- Chair ofH800 Technology-enhanced learning: practices and debates. He worked with colleagues in IET and other areas of the OU - and with Associate Lecturers. Associate Lecturers have responsibility for fostering the social and learning climate for their group of students, leading web-conferencing discussions, grading and commenting on assignments, providing invaluable feedback from the front line, and so on.
- Programme Director of IET's innovative Masters in Online and Distance Education. In this role, he worked with all IET's other teaching staff and with colleagues across the university.
- Pettit, John. (). ‘Partly self-made niches’? Student-only spaces in an LMS. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 30 (1) pp. 16-30.
- Pettit, John and Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes (). Mobile 2.0: crossing the border into formal learning?. In: Lee, Mark J.W. and McLoughlin, Catherine eds. Web 2.0-Based E-Learning: Applying Social Informatics for Tertiary Teaching Hershey & New York: IGI Global, pp. 192-208.
- Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes; Pettit, John; Bradley, Linda; Carvalho, Ana A.; Herrington, Anthony; Kennedy, David M. and Walker, Aisha. (). Mature students using mobile devices in life and learning. International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning, 3 (1) pp. 18-52.
- Arnedillo-Sánchez, Inmaculada; Arrigo, Marco; Crehan, Freida; Dal Grande, Paola; Di Giuseppe, Onofrio; Farrow, Robert; Fulantelli, Giovanni; Gabor, Andras; Gentile, Manuel; Kismihok, Gabor; Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes; Merlo, Gianluca; Peasgood, Alice; Pettit, John; Seta, Luciano and Taibi, Davide (). Best Practices. In: Arrigo, M.; Di Giuseppe, O.; Fulantelli, G.; Gentile, M.; Merlo, G.; Seta, L. and Taibi, D. eds. MOTILL Mobile Technologies in Lifelong Learning: Best Practices Italian National Research Council - Institute for Educational Technology, pp. 34-37.
- Pettit, John. (). The cachet of constraint: Learners, ownership and power. In: Same Places, Different Spaces: Ascilite 2009 Conference, 6-9 Dec 2009, Auckland.
- Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes and Pettit, John (). Practitioners as innovators: Emergent practice in personal mobile teaching, learning, work and leisure. In: Ally, Mohamed eds. Mobile Learning: transforming the delivery of education and training Athabasca: Athabasca University Press, pp. 135-155.
- Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes; Pettit, John; Bradley, Linda; Carvalho, Ana A.; Herrington, Anthony; Kennedy, David and Walker, Aisha. (). An international survey of mature students' uses of mobile devices in life and learning. In: Proceedings of 8th World Conference on Mobile and Contextual Learning, 26-30 Oct 2009, Orlando, Florida.
- Pettit, John and Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes. (). Do smart devices make smart learners?. In: Proceedings of the MLearn 2008 Conference, 7-10 Oct 2008, Ironbridge Gorge, Shropshire, UK.
- Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes and Pettit, John. (). Semi-formal learning communities for professional development in mobile learning. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 20 (2) pp. 35-47.
- Pettit, John. (). Helping themselves to audiographics: students lead their own learning. In: World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications, 26-29 Jun 2007, Vancouver.
- Pettit, John and Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes. (). Going with the grain: mobile devices in practice. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 23 (1) pp. 17-33.
- Adams, Anne; Scott, Peter; Pettit, John and Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes. (). Technology that enhances without inhibiting learning. In: CTSS Conference, 1-2 May 2007, The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes and Pettit, John. (). Self-service education: Smartphones as a catalyst for informal collective and individual learning. In: Mlearn '07 mobile learning conference, 16-19 Oct 2007, Melbourne, Australia.
- Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes; Traxler, John and Pettit, John. (). Designed and user-generated activity in the mobile age. Journal of Learning Design, 2 (1) pp. 52-65.
- Pettit, John and Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes. (). Going with the grain: mobile devices in practice. In: 23rd Annual Conference of the Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (Ascilite): 'Who’s Learning? Whose Technology?', 3-6 Dec 2006, Sydney.
- Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes and Pettit, John. (). Practitioners as innovators: emergent practice in personal mobile teaching, learning, work and leisure. In: Mlearn ’06 mobile learning conference, 23-25 Oct 2006, Banff, Canada.
- Pettit, John. (). Conferencing and workshops: a blend for staff development. Education, Communication and Information, 5 (3) pp. 251-263.
- Goodfellow, Robin; Morgan, Michael; Lea, Mary and Pettit, John (). Students’ writing in the virtual university: an investigation into the relation between online discussion and writing for assessment. In: Snyder, Ilana and Beavis, Catherine eds. Doing Literacy on Line: Teaching, Learning and Playing in an Electronic World Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, pp. 25-44.
- Pettit, John and Mason, Robin (). Virtual space, real learning: an introduction to VLEs. In: Fry, Heather; Ketteridge, Steve and Marshall, Stephanie eds. A Handbook for teaching and learning in higher education: enhancing academic practice (2nd ed.) London, UK: Kogan Page, pp. 148-161.