Dr Julia Sargent BA (hons), PhD, FHEA
Scholarly Career Development Lecturer
Julia is a Lecturer working in the Institute of Educational Technology (IET) supporting teaching and research in Academic Professional Development (APD). She is the academic lead for Scholarly Career Development. Her role is mainly focused around the development of pan-university scholarship and use of technology to enhance professional learning and staff development. She also looks at digital pedagogies and how digital technology can support learning and learning materials.
Prior to this role, Julia completed her PhD at Loughborough University in Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy. She explored how and why physical education teachers' used digital technology.
Her research interests include digital technology, teaching, learning, strengths-based approaches and practice-based research. Julia is a Fellow of the HEA (FHEA).
Julia is a Lecturer working in the Institute of Educational Technology at the Open University. She works in Academic Professional Development (APD) and is the academic lead for scholarship career development. Her role is mainly focused on the use of technology to enhances learning and digital pedagogies to support staff development, scholarship and distance education.
- Sargent, Julia and Casey, Ashley. (). Flipped Learning, Pedagogy and Digital Technology: Establishing Consistent Practice to Optimise Lesson Time. European Physical Education Review (Early Access).
- Sargent, Julia; Adams, Anne and FitzGerald, Elizabeth. (). Should teaching be focused on students or content? Evaluating the Tricky Topic process to identify and address student misunderstandings. In: ECER Conference, 3-6 Sep 2019, Hamburg, Germany.
- FitzGerald, Elizabeth; Adams, Anne; Bektik, Duygu; Bossu, Carina; Clough, Gill; Ismail, Nashwa and Sargent, Julia. (). Tools and Technologies for Advancing Professional Development. In: CALRG Annual Conference 2019, 17-18 Jun 2019, The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Sargent, Julia. (). [Book Review] Digital technologies and learning in physical education: pedagogical cases. Sport, Education and Society, 23 (1) pp. 108-110.
- Sargent, Julia and Casey, Ashley (). Exploring pedagogies of digital technology in physical education through appreciative inquiry. In: Koekoek, Jeroen and van Hilvoorde, Ivo eds. Digital Technology in Physical Education: Global Perspectives Routledge, pp. 69-85.
- Sargent, Julia (). Exploring Pedagogy And Digital Technology In Physical Education Through Appreciative Inquiry. PhD thesis Loughborough University.
Playing with Research in Health & Physical Education Podcase | 23rd October 2019
Podcast | 3rd February 2018
3rd September 2019
ECER Conference Hamburg, Germany
12th September 2018
British Educational Research Association Conference (BERA) Newcastle
26th July 2018
International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education (AIESEP)
18th June 2018
CALRG Open University - Milton Keynes
Employability Scholarship FundingConnecting Open Routes to Employability Skills (CORES): learner experiences and effects
Global Challenges Research FundIMPEC: Inclusive Migration Policy through Evidence Cafes
Teaching Innovation AwardLoughborough University Internal Bid
Areas of expertise
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Association of Learning Technologists
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the British Educational Research Association