Dr Julia Sargent BA (hons), PhD, FHEA
I am a Lecturer working in the Institute of Educational Technology (IET). I have worked at the Open University and IET since 2018, supporting teaching and research in Academic Professional Development (APD). I am the academic lead for Scholarship Career Development. My role is mainly focused around the development of pan-university scholarship and the use of technology to enhance professional learning and staff development. I also explore the combination of digital technologies and pedagogy to investigate how digital technology can support teaching and learning
I am the shadow module chair of H819 and I am working on co-authoring some of the microcredential 'Evaluating Online Teaching' and supporting learners on the Online Educator courses on FutureLearn. In addition to these roles I also support the development of the Applaud programme.
My research interests include digital technology, teaching, learning, strengths-based approaches and practice-based research. I am a Fellow of the HEA (FHEA).
Julia is a Lecturer who has been working in the Institute of Educational Technology at the Open University since 2018. She works in Academic Professional Development (APD) and is the academic lead for Scholarship Career Development. Her role is mainly focused on the use of technology to enhance learning and digital pedagogies to support staff development, scholarship and distance education.
Previously, Julia has worked in the field of Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy and has explored the use of digital technology to support learning and teaching. Examples of research projects that Julia has worked on include IMPEC (Inclusive Migration Policies through Evidence Cafes), Teach4Edu4 Erasmus+ project (combining a partnership of HEI's to support teachers and students in acquiring new skills and teaching methods) and Academic Mentoring.
- Sargent, Julia and Casey, Ashley. (). Appreciative inquiry for physical education and sport pedagogy research: a methodological illustration through teachers’ uses of digital technology.. Sport, Education and Society (Early Access).
- Sargent, Julia and Casey, Ashley. (). Flipped Learning, Pedagogy and Digital Technology: Establishing Consistent Practice to Optimise Lesson Time. European Physical Education Review, 26 (1) pp. 70-84.
- Kukulska-Hulme, Agnes; Beirne, Elaine; Conole, Gráinne; Costello, Eamon; Coughlan, Tim; Ferguson, Rebecca; FitzGerald, Elizabeth; Gaved, Mark; Herodotou, Christothea; Holmes, Wayne; Mac Lochlainn, Conchur; Nic Giolla Mhichíl, Mairéad; Rienties, Bart; Sargent, Julia; Scanlon, Eileen; Sharples, Mike and Whitelock, Denise (). Innovating Pedagogy 2020: Open University Innovation Report 8. The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Sargent, Julia and Casey, Ashley (). Using digital technologies to enhance your teaching of physical education. In: Capel, Susan; Cliff, Joanne and Lawrence, Julia eds. A practical guide to teaching physical education in the secondary school London: Routledge (In Press).
- Lynch, Shrehan and Sargent, Julia. (). Using the meaningful physical education features as a lens to view student experiences of democratic pedagogy in higher education. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy (Early Access).
- Sargent, Julia. (). [Book Review] Debates in physical education. Curriculum Studies in Health and Physical Education (Early access).
- Fullagar, Simone; Petris, Sandra; Sargent, Julia; Allen, Stephanie; Aktar, Muhsina and Ozakinci, Gozde. (). Action research with parkrun UK volunteer organisers to develop inclusive strategies. Health Promotion International (Early Access).
- FitzGerald, Elizabeth; Adams, Anne; Bektik, Duygu; Bossu, Carina; Clough, Gill; Ismail, Nashwa and Sargent, Julia. (). Tools and Technologies for Advancing Professional Development. In: CALRG Annual Conference 2019, 17-18 Jun 2019, The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Sargent, Julia. (). [Book Review] Digital technologies and learning in physical education: pedagogical cases. Sport, Education and Society, 23 (1) pp. 108-110.
- Sargent, Julia and Casey, Ashley (). Exploring pedagogies of digital technology in physical education through appreciative inquiry. In: Koekoek, Jeroen and van Hilvoorde, Ivo eds. Digital Technology in Physical Education: Global Perspectives Routledge, pp. 69-85.
- Sargent, Julia (). Exploring Pedagogy And Digital Technology In Physical Education Through Appreciative Inquiry. PhD thesis Loughborough University.
Esports model ‘could be future direction’ for student engagement
The Times Higher Education (THE) | 9th January 2020
Playing with Research in Health & Physical Education Podcase | 24th November 2020
Podcast | 3rd February 2018
3rd September 2019
ECER Conference Hamburg, Germany
12th September 2018
British Educational Research Association Conference (BERA) Newcastle
26th July 2018
International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education (AIESEP)
18th June 2018
CALRG Open University - Milton Keynes
BJET FellowshipHighly Commended Award
Employability Scholarship FundingConnecting Open Routes to Employability Skills (CORES): learner experiences and effects
Global Challenges Research FundIMPEC: Inclusive Migration Policy through Evidence Cafes
Teaching Innovation AwardLoughborough University Internal Bid
Areas of expertise
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Association of Learning Technologists
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the British Educational Research Association