Quan Nguyen is a Ph.D. candidate in Learning Analytics at the Institute of Educational Technology, The Open University, UK (2016-2019). His research focuses on impact of learning design on student engagement in online and distance education by analysing digital traces of learning behaviour. During his PhD, Quan also worked as an Associate Lecturer in Applied Statistics at University of Arts London (2018-2019). Prior to joining the OU, Quan obtained his Bachelor and Master (cum laude) degrees in Economics at Maastricht University, Netherlands.
Personal website: www.quan-nguyen.com
Email: [firstname.lastname@example.org] [email@example.com]
- Nguyen, Quan (). Unravelling the Temporal Process of Learning Design and Student Engagement in Distance Education using Learning Analytics. PhD thesis The Open University.
- Nguyen, Quan; Rienties, Bart and Richardson, John T. E.. (). Learning analytics to uncover inequality in behavioural engagement and academic attainment in a distance learning setting. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education (Early Access).
- Clow, Doug; Coughlan, Tim; Cross, Simon; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Herodotou, Christothea; Nguyen, Quan; Rienties, Bart; Thorne, Sam and Ullmann, Thomas (). Scholarly insight Winter 2019: a Data wrangler perspective. Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Holmes, Wayne; Nguyen, Quan; Zhang, Jingjing; Mavrikis, Manolis and Rienties, Bart. (). Learning analytics for learning design in online distance learning. Distance Education, 40 (3) pp. 309-329.
- Nguyen, Quan; Huptych, Michal and Rienties, Bart. (). Using Temporal Analytics to Detect Inconsistencies between Learning Design and Student Behaviours. Journal of Learning Analytics, 5 (3) pp. 120-135.
- Nguyen, Quan; Huptych, Michal and Rienties, Bart. (). Linking students' timing of engagement to learning design and academic performance. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge, ACM, New York, 141-150.
- Nguyen, Quan; Thorne, Sam and Rienties, Bart. (). How do students engage with computer-based assessments: impact of study breaks on intertemporal engagement and pass rates. Behaviormetrika, 45 (2) pp. 597-614.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Edwards, Rebecca L.; Davis, Sarah K.; Nguyen, Quan; Murphy, Victoria L.; Brummer, Leonie and Rienties, Bart. (). ‘A double-edged sword. This is powerful but it could be used destructively’: Perspectives of early career education researchers on learning analytics. Frontline Learning Research, 6 (2) pp. 20-38.
- Rienties, Bart; Rogaten, Jekaterina; Nguyen, Quan; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Holt, Deborah; Herodotou, Christothea; Clow, Doug; Cross, Simon; Coughlan, Tim; Jones, Jan and Ullmann, Thomas (). Scholarly insight Spring 2017: A Data Wrangler Perspective. Open University UK.
- Nguyen, Quan. (). Unravelling the dynamics of learning design within and between disciplines in higher education using learning analytics. In: Learning Analytics and Knowledge (LAK) doctoral consortium.
- Nguyen, Quan; Rienties, Bart and Toetenel, Lisette. (). Unravelling the dynamics of instructional practice: a longitudinal study on learning design and VLE activities. In: Proceedings of the Seventh International Learning Analytics & Knowledge Conference, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 168-177.
- Nguyen, Quan; Rienties, Bart and Toetenel, Lisette. (). Mixing and Matching Learning Design and Learning Analytics. In: Learning and Collaboration Technologies: Technology in Education - 4th International Conference, LCT 2017 Held as Part of HCI International 2017 Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 9–14, 2017 Proceedings, Part II, Springer, 302-316.
- Nguyen, Quan; Rienties, Bart; Toetenel, Lisette; Ferguson, Rebecca and Whitelock, Denise. (). Examining the designs of computer-based assessment and its impact on student engagement, satisfaction, and pass rates. Computers in Human Behavior, 76 pp. 703-714.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Tempelaar, Dirk; Rienties, Bart and Nguyen, Quan. (). Learning analytics to understand cultural impacts on technology enhanced learning. In: 13th International Conference on Cognition and Exploratory Learning in Digital Age (CELDA 2016), 28-30 Oct 2016, Mannheim, Germany.
- Nguyen, Quan; Tempelaar, Dirk; Rienties, Bart and Giesbers, Bas. (). What learning analytics based prediction models tell us about feedback preferences of students. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 17 (3) pp. 13-33.
|OWL (Open World Learning)||2015 - 2020|
|BNUFS (Data-informed Learning Design for Future Schools)||2017|