Quan Nguyen is a Leverhulme fundedPh.D. candidate in Learning Analytics at the Institute of Educational Technology, The Open University, UK. He graduated as a Master (cum laude) of Economics and Information Management at Maastricht University. Quan had considerable experience in teaching Quantitative Methods and Management of Information System, and working as a data analyst in several projects. In his Ph.D (2016-2019) under the supervision of Prof. Bart Rienties, Prof. Denise Whitelock, and Prof. Zdenek Zdrahal, he is focusing on the use of Learning Analytics to understand and improve how teachers design their course in Virtual Learning Environment. Quan is also a part-time Lecturer in Applied Statistics at University of Arts London.
- Tempelaar, Dirk T.; Rienties, Bart and Nguyen, Quan. (). Analysing the Use of Worked Examples and Tutored and Untutored Problem-Solving in a Dispositional Learning Analytics Context. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Computer Supported Education, 01-02 Feb 2018, Funchal, Madeira.
- Nguyen, Quan; Huptych, Michal and Rienties, Bart. (). Using Temporal Analytics to Detect Inconsistencies between Learning Design and Student Behaviours. Journal of Learning Analytics, 5 (3) pp. 120-135.
- Tempelaar, Dirk; Rienties, Bart and Nguyen, Quan. (). A multi-modal study into students’ timing and learning regulation: time is ticking. Interactive Technology and Smart Education (Early Access).
- Nguyen, Quan; Huptych, Michal and Rienties, Bart. (). Linking students' timing of engagement to learning design and academic performance. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge, ACM, New York, 141-150.
- Tempelaar, Dirk; Rienties, Bart and Nguyen, Quan. (). Investigating learning strategies in a dispositional learning analytics context: the case of worked examples. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge, ACM, New York, 201-205.
- Rienties, Bart; Lewis, Timothy; Mcfarlane, Ruth; Nguyen, Quan and Toetenel, Lisette. (). Analytics in online and offline language learning environments: the role of learning design to understand student online engagement. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 31 (3) pp. 273-293.
- Nguyen, Quan; Thorne, Sam and Rienties, Bart. (). How do students engage with computer-based assessments: impact of study breaks on intertemporal engagement and pass rates. Behaviormetrika (Early Access).
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Edwards, Rebecca L.; Davis, Sarah K.; Nguyen, Quan; Murphy, Victoria L.; Brummer, Leonie and Rienties, Bart. (). ‘A double-edged sword. This is powerful but it could be used destructively’: Perspectives of early career education researchers on learning analytics. Frontline Learning Research, 6 (2) pp. 20-38.
- Rienties, Bart; Nguyen, Quan; Holmes, Wayne and Reedy, Katharine. (). A review of ten years of implementation and research in aligning learning design with learning analytics at the Open University UK. Interaction Design and Architecture(s), 33 pp. 134-154.
- Tempelaar, Dirk; Rienties, Bart; Mittelmeier, Jenna and Nguyen, Quan. (). Student profiling in a dispositional learning analytics application using formative assessment. Computers in Human Behavior, 78 pp. 408-420.
- Tempelaar, Dirk; Rienties, Bart and Nguyen, Quan. (). Adding dispositions to create pedagogy-based Learning Analytics. Zeitschrift für Hochschulentwicklung, 12 (1) pp. 15-35.
- Tempelaar, Dirk T.; Rienties, Bart and Nguyen, Quan. (). Towards actionable learning analytics using dispositions. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, 10 (1) pp. 6-16.
- Rienties, Bart; Rogaten, Jekaterina; Nguyen, Quan; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Holt, Deborah; Herodotou, Christothea; Clow, Doug; Cross, Simon; Coughlan, Tim; Jones, Jan and Ullmann, Thomas (). Scholarly insight Spring 2017: A Data Wrangler Perspective. Open University UK.
- Nguyen, Quan. (). Unravelling the dynamics of learning design within and between disciplines in higher education using learning analytics. In: Learning Analytics and Knowledge (LAK) doctoral consortium.
- Nguyen, Quan; Rienties, Bart and Toetenel, Lisette. (). Unravelling the dynamics of instructional practice: a longitudinal study on learning design and VLE activities. In: Proceedings of the Seventh International Learning Analytics & Knowledge Conference, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 168-177.
- Nguyen, Quan; Rienties, Bart and Toetenel, Lisette. (). Mixing and Matching Learning Design and Learning Analytics. In: Learning and Collaboration Technologies: Technology in Education - 4th International Conference, LCT 2017 Held as Part of HCI International 2017 Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 9–14, 2017 Proceedings, Part II, Springer, 302-316.
- Nguyen, Quan; Rienties, Bart; Toetenel, Lisette; Ferguson, Rebecca and Whitelock, Denise. (). Examining the designs of computer-based assessment and its impact on student engagement, satisfaction, and pass rates. Computers in Human Behavior, 76 pp. 703-714.
- Mittelmeier, Jenna; Tempelaar, Dirk; Rienties, Bart and Nguyen, Quan. (). Learning analytics to understand cultural impacts on technology enhanced learning. In: 13th International Conference on Cognition and Exploratory Learning in Digital Age (CELDA 2016), 28-30 Oct 2016, Mannheim, Germany.
- Nguyen, Quan; Tempelaar, Dirk; Rienties, Bart and Giesbers, Bas. (). What learning analytics based prediction models tell us about feedback preferences of students. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 17 (3) pp. 13-33.
|OWL (Open World Learning)||2015 - 2020|
|BNUFS (Data-informed Learning Design for Future Schools)||2017|