Dr Simon Cross MA, PhD, PGCE, FRGS
My research work within IET/LTI-Academic is focused on several areas. These include: understanding the context, role and impact of open and online study on student learning; issues and trends in use of handheld mobile devices for study and non-study purposes; student perceptions and understanding of Learning Gain; design and effectiveness of micro-level learning pathways; and exploring emerging opportunities for VR technologies. I also contribute to a range of instititional strategic projects and faculty intitiated work. I joined the academic team as lecturer in late 2014. My present area of interest are:
Open and Online Learning
I have led or been involved in developing a number of open online courses. As member of the TESS-India academic team I have worked on the design, facilitator training, delivery and evaluation of two teacher traineer MOOCs in India (2015 and 2016) and at present we are working at State level to support strategic alignment and uptake of the TESS-India OER resources. The TESS-India project was Best International Project, Guardian University Awards 2017 (for more information see our latest paper is: MOOC adaptation and translation to improve equity in participation). I've also been involved in evaluating the 2013 OLDS MOOC, the 2013 Open Education MOOC and FutureLearn MOOCs, and led the delivery team of the 2009-10 OpenED OOC (EU funded project). I am an author on the OU's MA in Online and Distance Education.
Learning Analytics and Gains
I am a member of the ABC Learning Gains project team and currently leading the analysis of quanltaitive data collected from in-depth student interviews. Of particular interest are the perceptions, framing and interpretations of the concept of making a 'learning gain'. I am a principal member of the OU's Data Wrangler team who analyse and interpret learning analytics and student feedback data. In the last two years, I have written reports in to the impact of studying concurrent study, module performance, and assessment banking. I also worked on the 2015-2016 OU Learning Anlaytics project.
Mobile and Handheld Learning
Over the last three years I have been lead of a longitudinal survey seeking to monitor and understand student uses of handheld technologies. Our current dataset represents a unique insight into distance learners' use of handheld devices and the changing place and space of study.
Learning Design, Student Choice and Micro-learning Pathways
I have a longstanding interest in learning design and visualisation. I first joined the OU's strategic Learning Design project in 2007 and was involved throughout the 2008-2012 JISC sponsored Open University Learning Design Initiate (OULDI) Project. At present I am interested in the implementing adaptive and multi-path learning routes by using existing VLE functionality and framing this as a choice to students. A small scale pilot on a post-gradaute module is currently being evaluated.
Assessment and digital badges
I have been involved in several projects related to the OU's institutional Assessment Programme. In 2014-16 I led the Student Experience of Aassessment, Feedback and Revision (SEFAR) project and made contributions to the institutional benchmarking of assessment practice. I have a particular interest in exploring synergies between learning design, revision design, and learning/assessment analytics. Between 2016-2017 I was co-investigator and Work Package lead for the EU funded TeSLA project and remain interested in the functional and roles of digital badges for learning and for learners.
Dr Simon Cross is a lecturer at The Open University (UK). His current research interests include embedding open and online learning, the contextualised experience of MOOCs, VR, student experience and perceptions of learning gain and assessment, learning design, and mobile learning. He is an academic author on the university’s MA in Online and Distance Learning and has led projects aligned to strategic learning and teaching programmes. Simon has worked on nine externally funded projects since joining the university and has presented at many international conferences.
- Wolfenden, Freda; Adinolfi, Lina; Cross, Simon; Lee, Clare; Paranjpe, Sandhya and Safford, Kimberly (). Moving towards more participatory practice with Open Educational Resources: TESS-India Academic Review. The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Wolfenden, Freda; Cross, Simon and Henry, Fiona. (). MOOC adaptation and translation to improve equity in participation. Journal of Learning for Development - JL4D.
- Wolfenden, Freda; Henry, Fiona and Cross, Simon. (). Extending the MOOC footprint: supporting capacity building in India . In: 8th Pan Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning (PCF8), 27 - 30 November 2016, Kuala Lumpur,.
- Rienties, Bart; Cross, Simon; Marsh, Vicky and Ullmann, Thomas. (). Making sense of learner and learning Big Data: reviewing 5 years of Data Wrangling at the Open University UK. Open Learning: The Journal of Open, Distance and e-learning (In Press).
- FitzGerald, Elizabeth; Kucirkova, Natalia; Jones, Ann; Cross, Simon; Ferguson, Rebecca; Herodotou, Christothea; Hillaire, Garron and Scanlon, Eileen. (). Dimensions of personalisation in technology-enhanced learning: a framework and implications for design. British Journal of Educational Technology (In press).
- Rienties, Bart; Rogaten, Jekaterina; Nguyen, Quan; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Holt, Deborah; Herodotou, Christothea; Clow, Doug; Cross, Simon; Coughlan, Tim; Jones, Jan and Ullmann, Thomas (). Scholarly Insight Spring 2017: A Data Wrangler Perspective. Open University UK.
- Rienties, Bart; Clow, Doug; Coughlan, Tim; Cross, Simon; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Herodotou, Christothea; Hlosta, Martin; Jones, Jan; Rogaten, Jekaterina and Ullmann, Thomas (). Scholarly insight Autumn 2017:a Data wrangler perspective. Open University UK.
- Cross, Simon and Whitelock, Denise. (). Similarity and difference in fee-paying and no-fee learner expectations, interaction and reaction to learning in a massive open online course. Interactive Learning Environments, 25 (4) pp. 439-451.
- Cross, Simon; Rogaten, Jekaterina; Bektik, Duygu; Whitelock, Denise and Rienties, Bart. (). How do students understand and interpret learning gains? Perspectives from in-depth interviews of UK distance learners. In: SRHE Conference, 6-8 Dec 2017, Newport, Wales, UK.
- Rienties, Bart; Boroowa, Avinash; Cross, Simon; Kubiak, Chris; Mayles, Kevin and Murphy, Sam. (). Analytics4Action Evaluation Framework: A Review of Evidence-Based Learning Analytics Interventions at the Open University UK. Journal of Interactive Media in Education.
- Rienties, Bart; Cross, Simon and Zdrahal, Zdenek (). Implementing a Learning Analytics Intervention and Evaluation Framework: what works?. In: Kei Daniel, Ben and Butson, Russell eds. Big Data and Learning Analytics in Higher Education: Current Theory and Practice Heidelberg: Springer.
- Rienties, Bart; Edwards, Chris; Gaved, Mark; Marsh, Vicky; Herodotou, Christothea; Clow, Doug; Cross, Simon; Coughlan, Tim; Jones, Jan and Ullmann, Thomas (). Scholarly insight 2016: a Data wrangler perspective. Open University UK.
- Rogaten, Jekaterina; Rienties, Bart; Whitelock, Denise; Cross, Simon and Littlejohn, Allison. (). A multi-level longitudinal analysis of 80,000 online learners: Affective-Behaviour-Cognition models of learning gains. In: Emerging Methodologies in Educational Research: Book of Abstracts, Maastricht University, Maastricht, 25.
- Rogaten, Jekaterina; Rienties, Bart; Whitelock, Denise; Cross, Simon; Littlejohn, Allison; Sharpe, Rhona; Lygo-Baker, Simon; Scott, Ian; Warburton, Stephen and Kinchin, Ian. (). Multilevel modelling of learning gains: The impact of module particulars on students’ learning in Higher Education. In: SRHE International Annual Research Conference 2016, 7-9 December 2016, Celtic Manor Resort, Newport, South Wales, United Kingdom.
- Cross, Simon; Sharples, Mike and Healing, Graham. (). Learning with mobile devices: the changing place and space of distance learners' study. In: EDULEARN16: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Education and New Learning.
- Cross, Simon; Whitelock, Denise and Mittelmeier, Jenna. (). Does the Quality and Quantity of Exam Revision Impact on Student Satisfaction and Performance in the Exam Itself?: Perspectives from Undergraduate Distance Learners. In: EDULEARN16 Proceedings, IATED Academy, 5052-5061.
- Cross, Simon; Sharples, Mike and Healing, Graham (). E-Pedagogy of Handheld Devices 2013 Survey: Patterns of student use for learning. The Open University, UK.
- Brasher, Andrew and Cross, Simon (). Reflections on developing a tool for creating visual representations of learning designs: towards a visual language for learning designs. In: Maina, Marcelo; Craft, Brock and Mor, Yishay eds. The Art and Science of Learning Design Rotterdam: Sense Publishers, pp. 169-180.
- Cross, Simon; Whitelock, Denise and Galley, Rebecca. (). The use, role and reception of open badges as a method for formative and summative reward in two Massive Open Online Courses. International Journal of e-Assessment.
- Mwanza-Simwami, Daisy; Kirkwood, Adrian; Thomas, Rhodri; Woods, William and Cross, Simon. (). Understanding mobile VLE usage in distance education: A pilot study. In: World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (EDMEDIA) 2013, 24th - 27th June, 2013, Victoria, Canada.
- Cross, Simon (). Evaluation of the OLDS MOOC curriculum design course: participant perspectives, expectations and experiences. OLDS MOOC Project, Milton Keynes.
- Cross, Simon; Galley, Rebecca; Brasher, Andrew and Weller, Martin (). OULDI-JISC Project Evaluation Report: the impact of new curriulum design tools and approaches on institutional process and design cultures. OULDI Project (Open University).
- Whitelock, Denise and Cross, Simon. (). Authentic assessment: What does it mean and how is it instantiated by a group of distance learning academics?. International Journal of e-Assessment, 2 (1) pp. Article 9.
- Aczel, James; Cross, Simon; Meiszner, Andreas; Hardy, Pascale; McAndrew, Patrick and Clow, Doug. (). Some issues affecting the sustainability of open learning courses. In: EDEN 2011 Annual Conference: Learning and Sustainability: The New Ecosystem of Innovation and Knowledge, 19-22 June 2011, Dublin, Ireland.
- Whitelock, Denise and Cross, Simon. (). Assessment benchmarking: accumulating and accelerating institutional know - how for best practice. International Journal of e-Assessment, 1 (1) pp. 1-10.
- Whitelock, Denise and Cross, Simon (). 99 Measures of Assessment Processes and Practice for use in Benchmarking and Reviewing Teaching and Learning. .
- Whitelock, Denise and Cross, Simon. (). Academics understanding of authentic assessment. In: 2011 International Computer Assisted Assessment (CAA) Conference, Research into e-Assessment, 5/6 July 2011, Southampton.
- Cross, Simon and Whitelock, Denise. (). Benchmarking assessment: breaking down barriers and building institutional understanding. In: 2010 International Computer Assisted Assessment (CAA) Conference, 20-21 July 2010, Southampton, UK.
- Jones, Chris; Ramanau, Ruslan; Cross, Simon and Healing, Graham. (). Net generation or Digital Natives: Is there a distinct new generation entering university?. Computers & Education, 54 (3) pp. 722-732.
- Conole, Grainne; Wilson, Tina; McAndrew, Patrick; Culver, Juliette; Brasher, Andrew and Cross, Simon. (). New methods and approaches to the design and evaluation of open educational resources. In: EDEN Annual Conference 2009, 10-13 June 2009, Gdansk, Poland.
- Cross, Simon; Clark, Paul and Brasher, Andrew. (). Preliminary findings from a series of staff surveys on perceptions, attitudes and practices of learning design . In: ALT-C 2009 “In Dreams Begins Responsibility”: Choice, Evidence and Change, 8-10 September 2009, Manchester, UK.
- Jones, Chris and Cross, Simon. (). Is there a net generation coming to university?. In: ALT-C 2009 “In Dreams Begins Responsibility”: Choice, Evidence and Change, 8-10 September 2009, Manchester, UK.
- Conole, Grainne; Brasher, Andrew; Cross, Simon; Weller, Martin; Clark, Paul and Culver, Juliette. (). Visualising learning design to foster and support good practice and creativity. Educational Media International, 45 (3) pp. 177-194.
- Conole, Grainne; Brasher, Andrew; Cross, Simon; Weller, Martin; Nixon, Stewart; Clark, Paul and Petit, John. (). A new methodology for learning design. In: Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (EDMEDIA), 30 June - 4 July 2008, Vienna.
- Conole, Grainne; Culver, Juliette; Williams, Perry; Cross, Simon; Clark, Paul and Brasher, Andrew. (). Cloudworks: social networking for learning design. In: ASCILITE 2008 conference: Hello! Where are you in the landscape of educational technology?, 30 Nov-3 Dec 2008, Melbourne, Australia.
- Cross, Simon; Conole, Grainne; Clark, Paul; Brasher, Andrew and Weller, Martin. (). Mapping a landscape of learning design: Identifying key trends in current practice at the Open University. In: 2008 European LAMS Conference, 25-27 June 2008, Cadiz, Spain.
- Brasher, Andrew; Conole, Gráinne; Cross, Simon; Weller, Martin; Clark, Paul and White, Juliette. (). CompendiumLD – a tool for effective, efficient and creative learning design. In: Proceedings of the 2008 European LAMS Conference: Practical Benefits of Learning Design, 25-27 June 2008, Cadiz, Spain.
- Cross, Simon. (). The experience of Owenite socialism and anti-socialism in Halifax, 1829-1845. Transactions of the Halifax Antiquarian Society, 15 pp. 91-111.
|A longitudinal mixed method study of learning gain: applying Affective-Behaviour Cognition framework at 3 institutions||2015 - 2018|
16th December 2017
Transforming Education for Humanity (TECH) Conference Visakhapatnam, India
8th December 2017
Society of Research into Higher Education (SRHE) Conference Newport, Wales
10th February 2017
New Technologies in Education Belgrade
10th February 2017
New Technologies in Education Conference
7th June 2016
CALRG Conference Milton Keynes
26th February 2016
New Technologies in Education Conference Belgrade
26th February 2016
New Technologies in Education Conference Belgrade
20th January 2016
BETT Conference London
26th November 2014
HEA Design4Learning Conference Milton Keynes
5th March 2014
Link: http://transformingassessment.com/events_5_march_2014.php Online
13th June 2012
International Blended Learning Conference Herefordshire