Dr Wayne Holmes BA, MA, MSc (Oxon), PhD (Oxon), FHEA
Having been involved in education, educational technologies and education research for more than 25 years, I am now a Lecturer in the Institute of Educational Technology (IET) at The Open University. I received my PhD (DPhil) in Education (Learning and Technology) from the University of Oxford and have degrees in Film (BA Hons), Philosophy (MA (Distinction)) and Education (MSc Oxon). I also have a fellowship of The Higher Education Academy.
In the IET, I am (i) PI on Technology-enhanced Personalised Learning, a project funded by Robert Bosch Stiftung, (ii) PI on Data-informed Learning Design for Future Schools, a project funded by the Advanced Innovation Centre for Future Education of Beijing Normal University, (iii) Co-I (with Professor Denise Whitelock) on CODUR, an EU ERASMUS + funded project which is developing metrics to enable effective comparisons of online distance universities, and (iv) Co-I (with Professor Denise Whitelock), Work Package 8 Lead and OU Pilot Lead for TeSLA, an EU H2020 project which is developing a system to authenticate online assessments. Previously, I was academic lead for innovative pedagogy in MINERVA, an OU project that helped to devise new models of curriculum design and module production, using agile principles, innovative pedagogies and new technology, and I led on the development of the Artificial Intelligence in Education week for a new module on the OU’s MA Open and Distance Education.
Before joining the IET, I was a researcher and I taught at the UCL Knowledge Lab, UCL Institute of Education. I was also a Senior Teaching Associate at the University of Bristol (see Teaching Interests below).
At the UCL Knowledge Lab, I was a researcher on the ‘Excellent’ rated FP7 project iTalk2Learn (318051, PI for the UCL KL: Dr Mavrikis Manolis), which also received awards at the EC-TEL 2014 and AIED 2015 conferences. I was responsible for the development of the intervention model and a novel approach to formative feedback, and I co-organised the UK summative evaluations. At the UCL Knowledge Lab, I also co-authored reports on AIED (Intelligence Unleashed – An Argument for Artificial Intelligence in Education) and on collaborative problem solving (Solved! Making the Case for Collaborative Problem Solving), and I contributed to consultancies for The Social Learning Network and Third Space Learning. I was also a co-author of the successful EU H2020 proposal iRead, and I co-designed a game-like online tools which aim to inhibit heuristic-only reasoning and enhance social learning for the unLocke project.
Before joining UCL, I was a Research Fellow in the Adaptive Systems Research Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Hertfordshire, and a Research Associate on three projects at the University of Oxford: The Youth Initiative, The Learning Companion, and Harnessing Technology – The Learner and Their Context.
I am also one of the two co-founders of zondle, a digital games-based learning platform which achieved 2 million registered users who answered a total of a third of a billion questions in games. Previously, I was Head of Research for a UK based international charity, Catch Up, where I contributed to the development of interventions for children low-attaining in reading and in mathematics. And before that, I was a director of educational video documentaries, and a teacher in Further Education.
- Okada, Alexandra; Whitelock, Denise; Holmes, Wayne and Edwards, Chris. (). e-Authentication for online assessment: A mixed-method study. British Journal of Educational Technology, 50 (2) pp. 861-875.
- Edwards, Chris; Whitelock, Denise; Brouns, Francis; Rodríguez, M. Elena; Okada, Alexandra; Baneres, David and Holmes, Wayne. (). An embedded approach to plagiarism detection using the TeSLA e-authentication system. In: TEA 2018 Technology Enhanced Assessment Conference, 10-11 Dec 2018, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Zhang, Jingjing; Shan, Li; Mavrikis, Manolis; Holmes, Wayne; Ma, Ning and Gao, M. (). Use of Feedback According to Students’ Affective State during Problem Solving. In: The 9th International Learning Analytics & Knowledge Conference: Innovative problem solving assessment with learning analytics, 4-8 Mar 2019, Tempe, Arizona, USA.
- Holmes, Wayne; Bektik, Duygu; Whitelock, Denise and Woolf, Beverly. (). Ethics in AIED: Who cares?. In: 19th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED'18), 27-30 Jun 2018, London.
- Edwards, C.; Whitelock, D.; Okada, A. and Holmes, W.. (). Trust in online authentication tools for online assessment in both formal and informal contexts. In: ICERI2018 Proceedings, 12-14 Nov 2018, Seville, Spain.
- Mavrikis, Manolis; Holmes, Wayne; Zhang, Jingjing and Ma, Ning. (). Fractions Lab Goes East: Learning and Interaction with an Exploratory Learning Environment in China. In: Artificial Intelligence in Education: 19th International Conference, AIED 2018, London, UK, June 27–30, 2018, Proceedings, Part II, 209-214.
- Edwards, Chris; Holmes, Wayne; Whitelock, Denise and Okada, Ale. (). Student Trust in e-Authentication. In: L@S 2018: Fifth (2018) ACM Conference on Learning @ Scale, 26-28 Jun 2018, London, UK.
- Holmes, Wayne; Anastopoulou, Stamatina; Schaumburg, Heike and Mavrikis, Manolis (). Technology-enhanced Personalised Learning: Untangling the Evidence. Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH, Stuttgart.
- Holmes, Wayne (). Digital games-based learning. Time to adoption: two to three years?. In: Sheehy, Kieron and Holliman, Andrew eds. Education and New Technologies: Perils and Promises for Learners Routledge, pp. 196-212.
- du Boulay, Ben; Poulovasillis, Alexandra; Holmes, Wayne and Mavrikis, Manolis (). Artificial Intelligence And Big Data Technologies To Close The Achievement Gap.. In: Luckin, Rose eds. Enhancing Learning and Teaching with Technology London: UCL Institute of Education Press, pp. 256-285.
- Bektik, Duygu; Cross, Simon; Holmes, Wayne; Aleksieva, Lyubka and Whitelock, Denise. (). A European pilot study of a modular assessment system designed to authenticate the authorship of online learners. In: CALRG Annual Conference 2017, 14-16 Jun 2017, The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Rienties, Bart; Nguyen, Quan; Holmes, Wayne and Reedy, Katharine. (). A review of ten years of implementation and research in aligning learning design with learning analytics at the Open University UK. Interaction Design and Architecture(s), 33 pp. 134-154.
- Grawemeyer, Beate; Wollenschlaeger, Alex; Gutierrez-Santos, Sergio; Holmes, Wayne; Mavrikis, Manolis and Poulovassilis, Alexandra. (). Using graph-based modelling to explore changes in students’ affective states during exploratory learning tasks. In: Educational Data Mining, 2017, Wuhan, China.
- Brasher, A.; Holmes, W. and Whitelock, D.. (). Comparing online distance universities. In: EDULEARN17 Proceedings, IATED, 5411-5415.
- Vasalou, Asimina; Khaled, Rilla; Holmes, Wayne and Gooch, Daniel. (). Digital games-based learning for children with dyslexia: A social constructivist perspective on engagement and learning during group game-play. Computers & Education, 114 pp. 175-192.
- Okada, Alexandra; Whitelock, Denise and Holmes, Wayne. (). Students’ views on trust-based e-assessment system for online and blended environments. In: The Online, Open and Flexible Higher Education Conference, 25-27 Oct 2017, Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Okada, Alexandra; Whitelock, Denise; Holmes, Wayne and Edwards, Chris. (). Student acceptance of online assessment with e-authentication in the UK. In: The 2017 International Technology Enhanced Assessment Conference (TEA 2017, 5-6 Oct 2017, Barcelona, Spain.
- Grawemeyer, Beate; Mavrikis, Manolis; Holmes, Wayne; Gutiérrez-Santos, Sergio; Wiedmann, Michael and Rummel, Nikol. (). Affective learning: improving engagement and enhancing learning with affect-aware feedback. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 27 (1) pp. 119-158.
- Luckin, Rose; Baines, Ed; Cukurova, Mutlu; Holmes, Wayne and Mann, Michael (). Solved! Making the case for collaborative problem-solving. Nesta.
- Holmes, W.; Mavrikis, M.; Rummel, N.; Grawemeyer, B.; Wiedmann, M. and Loibl, K.. (). A Talk on the Wild Side: The Direct and Indirect Impact of Speech Recognition on Learning Gains. In: EARLI 2016: SIG 6 (Instructional Design) and SIG 7 (Learning and Instruction with Computers), 24-26 Aug 2016, University of Burgundy, Dijon, France.
- Howard-Jones, Paul and Holmes, Wayne (). Neuroscience Research and Classroom Practice. In: Horvath, Jared Cooney; Lodge, Jason M. and Hattie, John eds. From the Laboratory to the Classroom: Translating Science of Learning for Teachers Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 253-278.
- Luckin, Rose; Holmes, Wayne; Griffiths, Mark and Forcier, Laurie B. (). Intelligence Unleashed: An argument for AI in Education. Pearson Education, London.
- Rummel, Nikol; Mavrikis, Manolis; Wiedmann, Michael; Loibl, Katharina; Mazziotti, Claudia; Holmes, Wayne and Hansen, Alice. (). Combining Exploratory Learning With Structured Practice to Foster Conceptual and Procedural Fractions Knowledge. In: Transforming Learning, Empowering Learners: 2016 Conference Proceedings Volume I, International Society of the Learning Sciences (ISLS), Singapore, 58-65.
- Holmes, Wayne and Dowker, Ann. (). Catch Up Numeracy: a targeted intervention for children who are low-attaining in mathematics. Research in Mathematics Education, 15 (3) pp. 249-265.
- Holmes, Wayne. (). Using game‐based learning to support struggling readers at home. Learning, Media and Technology, 36 (1) pp. 5-19.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy