Dr Jude Fransman
I am a social scientist with an interdisciplinary background spanning international development, education and science and technology studies. Prior to joining the OU I worked at the UCL Institute of Education and Institute of Development Studies (Sussex) and as a policy analyst for UNESCO and the OECD in Paris, France.My currentresearch focuses on the politics of knowledge mobilisation. I am interested in questions such as: how can research systems respond better to global challenges? What can collaboration, critical analysis and learning contribute to these systems? And how are knowledge and participation mediated by funding systems, institutional agendas, social practices, material artefacts and personal identities? My research is framed by a commitment to cognitive justice, decolonizing knowledge and ecological practice, with implications for research capacity strengthening in different contexts. I am also interested in research impact and particularly in relation to ODA-funded research. I co-convene the Rethinking Research Collaborative (RRC); an award winning international network of academics, civil society organisations, international NGOs and research support providers committed to working together to encourage more inclusive, responsive collaborations to produce useful international development research: https://rethinkingresearchcollaborative.com
Current research (as Principle Investigator):
2019-20 The RRC is conducting a small, experimental study on virtual world-building in complex networks (funded by the OU 50th birthday Research Award for 'Best External Collaboration')
2018-22 I am coordinating the research and learning strand of a DFID-funded (UK Aid Connect) project: 'Evidence and Collaboration for Inclusive Development'.
Previous research (as Principle Investigator):
2018: 'Understanding and improving fair and equitable research partnerships around global challenges' - a programme of strategic research and capacity building for UKRI (funded through EPSRC and the Global Challenges Research Fund): https://www.ukri.org/files/international/fair-and-equitable-partnerships-final-report-to-ukri-sept-2018-pdf/
2014-2018: 'Engaging research for practice: A civil society perspective' - an Early Career Fellowship funded by the Leverhulme Trust: https://www.bond.org.uk/sites/default/files/resource-documents/bond_engaging_with_research_for_real_impact.pdf
2015-2017: Evidence and the politics of participation in academic-INGO research partnerships for international development' (a 2-year ESRC Seminar Series in partnership with Christian Aid, Action Aid, HIV/AIDS Alliance, UCL, IDS, LSE): https://www.christianaid.org.uk/sites/default/files/2017-10/discussion-guide-ngo-academic-research-oct2017_0.pdf
2013-2014: 'Becoming academic identity in the digital university' funded by an award from the Society of Research into Higher Education (SRHE): https://www.srhe.ac.uk/research/2013_prize_winners.asp
2007-2011: My PhD explored the politics of representation in academic and community-based research in/on/with/by a migrant community in London
You can watch some of my recent public talks here:
European Association of Development Institutes (EADI) Webinar:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4WJKh8YxjY
Research on Research Institute (RoRI) Launch Event at Wellcome Collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdNUwcziwzc&list=PLSldHK-DCVcSSXvC6QyH20ZZLplMIPpE3&index=2
Development Studies Association (DSA) Workshop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7F7vS4dfM
Institute of Development Studies (IDS) Public Talk: https://www.ids.ac.uk/events/how-can-ngos-and-civil-society-organisations-enhance-their-production-and-use-of-research/
Impact Initiative event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsNiQXfzRKs
Additional research experience includes studies on adult literacy in South Africa, Tanzania, Viet Nam, Thailand and Mexico (in collaboration with Kings College London, University of East Anglia, the Departamento de Investigaciones Educativas in Mexico City, BALID, Literacy Working Group, UNESCO and ActionAid International); participatory learning and teaching in higher education (Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex); and the use of video in social science research (Institute of Education, London Knowledge Lab). I am a special adviser in adult literacy for UNESCO, adviser on global challenges for the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement (NCCPE) and Associate Advisor for the Christian Aid Centre for Excellence in Research, Evidence and Learning (REL). I continue to conduct consultancies for a variety of international organisations.
- Fransman, Jude and Newman, Kate. (). Rethinking Research Partnerships: Evidence and the politics of participation in research partnerships for international development. Journal of International Development, 31 (7) pp. 523-544.
- Fransman, Jude; Newman, Kate and Bharadwaj, Sowmyaa. (). Rethinking Research Impact through Principles for Fair and Equitable Partnerships. IDS Bulletin, 50 (1) pp. 21-42.
- Fransman, Jude (). Engaging with research for real impact: The state of research in the INGO sector and ways forward for better practice. Bond, London.
- Fransman, Jude. (). Charting a course to an emerging field of ‘research engagement studies’: A conceptual metasynthesis. Research for All, 2 (2) pp. 185-229.
- Fransman, Jude. (). (Re)assembling Community: The Ontological Politics of Academic and Community-based Research in/on/with/by a Migrant Community in London. Sociological Methods and Research, 47 (3) pp. 549-573.
- Fransman, Jude; Hall, Budd; Hayman, Rachel; Narayanan, Pradeep; Newman, Kate and Tandon, Rajesh (). Promoting fair and equitable research partnerships to respond to global challenges. Rethinking Research Collaborative.
- Fransman, Jude. (). New global challenges, new knowledge actors, new forms of research: what higher education can learn from the research practices of NGOs. In: Society of Research into Higher Education Annual Conference, 6-8 Dec 2017, Newport, South Wales.
- Fransman, Jude and Newman, Kate (). Producing Evidence for International Development in Brexit Britain: Conference Report. Rethinking Research Partnerships.
- Fransman, Jude and Newman, Kate (). Improving the Conversation around Knowledge for International Development. Impact Science.
- Fransman, Jude; Newman, Kate and Cornish, Hilary (). Rethinking Research Partnerships: Discussion Guide and Toolkit. Christian Aid.
- Haythornthwaite, Caroline; Andrews, Richard; Fransman, Jude and Meyers, Eric M. (). The SAGE Handbook of E-learning Research (Second Edition). London: Sage.
- Fransman, Jude (). Researching academic literacy practices around Twitter: Performative methods and their onto-ethical implications. In: Goodfellow, Robin and Lea, Mary R. eds. Literacy in the Digital University: Critical perspectives on learning, scholarship and technology Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 27-41.
- Fransman, Jude. (). Assembling Texts in the Digital University. International Journal of Learning and Media, 4 (3-4) pp. 53-58.
- Fransman, Jude (). Re-Imagining the Conditions of Possibility of a PhD Thesis. In: Andrews, Richard; Borg, Erik; Boyd Davis, Stephen; Domingo, Myrrh and England, Jude eds. The SAGE Handbook of Digital Dissertations and Theses SAGE, pp. 138-156.
- Fransman, Jude and Andrews, Richard. (). Rhetoric and the politics of representation and communication in the digital age. Learning, Media and Technology, 37 (2) pp. 125-130.
|Engaging research in the digital university: A civil society perspective||2014 - 2018|
|Understanding and Improving ‘Fair and Equitable Research Partnerships’ in Response to Global Challenges||2018|
Areas of expertise
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy